Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,492   Posts: 1,571,348   Online: 839

Shooter
    Medium Format

Rodinal age limitations

Hi, My usual film developer is ID11 (for HP5+,FP4+, Delta400, Delta100 and APX400s). I'm itching to have a go at Rodinal and have been given an unopened 500ml bottle by a friend who was clearing out their darkroom.
    I cannot tell what age this is and don't know if this is very important. The leaflet inside says 6months once opened. What about storage unopened.
    A number is stamped on the lid of the box "79081 L". Could this be meaningless or even.....1981 vintage!?

Dave..

Edit: Ah wait a minute! there's a web address on the box, it's unlikely that they had a web address in 1981. That seems better, I guess that my interpretation of the batch/date stamp is a little inaccurate...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The content of your bottle will in all likelihood be as good as new. I have used Rodinal from bottles that have been open for several years with no problem.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Have a read of this thread, you'll discover that Rodinal is basically unkillable by time http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/4...e-mortals.html
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Oops! I just read a not-too-old thread on the use of Rodinal of all sorts of ages, so I guess that the age of my particular bottle (plastic) is not an issue.
    Note for future: must search threads before I ask a question..........

Shooter
    35mm
    Just out of curiosity, when were Rodinal bottles changed from glass to plastic? (I have an old, empty, glass Rodinal bottle, maybe pre-war...would like to know it's age. )

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, when were Rodinal bottles changed from glass to plastic?
    Sometime between the mid-70's and the early 80's.

Ed
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin