Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,856   Posts: 1,582,982   Online: 1033

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

can anyone give me information on a non acidic stop bath either ready made stock solution or a formulae to make one from chemicals.

I process my films in Dixactol Ultra using the partial stand method and Barry Thornton's instructions advise using
    a non acidic stop bath and a Alkaline fixer which he supplies, but he does not supply a suitable stop bath.

Images
    How about H20?
    hi!

Shooter
    Large Format
    From what I understand you to be saying, that you are developing the film in an alkaline developer and then fixing in an alkaline fixer. If that is true, then to use an acidic stop would be counterproductive. The one non acidic stop that I am aware of is water. Several photographers that I have encountered are using water as a stop bath...albeit the developer action will continue until it is diluted to a non active level. This continuation should not be problematic once it is factored into your processing regimen.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I vote for old water; my stop cycle is start: empty tank, pour water in, agitate, pour water out at the end of 1 min.

As dnmilikan said, always use the same time, whatever you choose, and adjust your dev time as needed.

Jorge O

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I actually take it one step further and use a garden sprayer (not too forcefully) to apply my water stop bath because the other
    ruiner
    of developers is oxidation and the bubbliness works almost as fast as standard print stop bath. This is pretty easy with tubes or tanks set at a slight angle.

Shooter
    35mm
    The reason for acidic stop bath was so the alkali developer would not be carried into the acidic fixer.
    I believe this has been widelly used due to commercial labs in the past (one hour B&W photo equivalent), when film developers were just dilluted paper developers (and so significantly alkali).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I use a water stop and alkaline fixer, but I can see a practical case for an acid stop, aside from preserving an acid fixer. If one develops sheet film by inspection, pulling sheets from the developer at different intervals as they are ready, an acid stop lets you use the stop tray as a holding tray, so that all the sheets can be transferred to the fixer at once.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Oops, I see that using the quote box versus just text quotes gives a dramatically different result. Sorry. Pretend thr boxed word reads, "ruin"-er of developer....

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sandy King mentioned in another topic that metaborate effectively stops develoment in Pyrocat-HD. That may be a way to make an alkaline stop for negatives - when using that developer.

Ohterwise I just use water. Sometimes I don't use a stop at all, I just change my fix a little more often...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin