Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,705   Posts: 1,548,479   Online: 837

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Efke 25 gives me the closest rendition as I remember it from the 30's. Its speed is similar, although a little slower. The pan/ortho emulsion also seems closer to the color interpretation of the 30's films.

Tri-X did not come out until the end of the great Hollywood look period. My second choice is Efke 100 and then FP4+.
    For work other than portraits which is to be printed with any of the alt processes I don;t think anything touches FP4+.

Freestyle Photo stocks all the Efke films.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    The front element sounds hazy so that will cut your contrast and make your highlights glow. that is not necessarily a quality of old photos. they had nice clear lenses in the 40s and coatings. The hot light look you are talking about might acutally be a small light source look instead. There is no reason hot lights can't look just like strobes. And you can use round reflectors with difuse over them to have a hollywood look. Get the butterfly lighting going and put a bright light in the hair and a spot on the background. You might try using a green filter.
    Dennis

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    freestyle is here, but when i searched for efke in their catalogue nothing came up, i'll check again.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    my bad, they do have them, that's very exciting!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You could try Franks Photo Lab in Van Nuys. I used them several years ago before i had my own darkroom.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Freestyle has the Efke films - and there used to be a custom lab in LA called "perfect exposure" or something like that, but I don't know if they're still around. There's always Cox, but that's quite a bit away (Sacramento, I think). Maybe someone at Freestyle could help out?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    thanks guys for all the info. i did ask freestyle, but they really didn't have a lead for a lab, i'll figure something out. i couldn't find any info on frank's photo lab although i have not yet tried the yellow pages or call 411. there is a gallery called the perfect exposure in mid-wilshire area, i don't know if they turned into a gallery, i'll call them and find out. if all else fails A&I be it. it'd be great if i could do it all myself, but it is just not in the cards right now. the good news, however, is that i am dusting off this 8X10 baby. it has been sitting in a box for the past fifteen years. i never shot it before and have no idea when any one shot with it last. it was a staff camera at warner bros. back in the 40s & 50s. it is being revamped right now. it's going to be great to see light going through its lenses after all this time. also, i am dusting off my linhof 4X5 (i haven't shot that one for at least 3-4 years). i am really excited!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Grain isn't particularly critical. You should probably shoot what you're used to, if it's available. HP5, FP4, TMX, TMY, 320TX all work fine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin