Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,834   Posts: 1,582,395   Online: 900

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Film in Canada...

Hey...

Just wondering what Canadians are doing about the decreasing amount of film and paper available in Canada?

The big problem is that my Kodak Plus-x appears to be disconintued in all formats except 35mm. I can find some at B&H and Freestyle and can backorder at Huntsphoto, but I'd really like to avoid over-the-border orders (especially considering I'm willing to drop $400 on an order of this film in 120 format). I'd hate to switch over to Tmax and rediscover a good developer/film/time combination, but I might not have a choice I guess.

As for paper, I find that a lot of that is slowly being discontinued as well and increasingly hard to find. Any suggestions on both?

Thanks...Jordan.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Hello Jordan,

http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/sto...4&itemID=41421

Although I am surprised to find that some of my usual sources no longer stock it. In the main, I think this is true for many Kodak products, in Canada.

Cheers,
    Clarence
    Last edited by CRhymer; 04-18-2008 at 09:13 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added info

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try The Camera Store in Calgary - they still have a selection of film and paper. Your best to send them an email about your needs because they have more on their shelves than what they show on their web site.

http://www.thecamerastore.com/

Gord

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Order it by mail guilt-free if you must. If local retailers won't stock it, buy it from where you can.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Awesome...thanks for the info guys. I'll try the camera store as shipping costs should be minimal to Edmonton.

Shooter
    35mm

Film/Paper Availability

As if April 1 Ilford Photo/Harman has a new distributor located in Canada so general availability will be improving on both film and paper throughout Canada.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Hello All,

Land of Goshen! I just looked at McBain's web site. It has been a year or two since I have been there - no mention of film. At least The Camera Store still acknowledges the existence of film.

There was a more general recent thread:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/4...lm-canada.html

And Photoco lists it:
    http://www.photo-co.com/securestore/...9556354.2.html

I too have been using Freestyle and B&H a lot.

It is true that Ilford products are generally more available.

Jordan, tell us how you make out with The Camera Store.

Cheers,
    Clarence

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The real challenge are local retailers wanting to stock film? Their problem is no one is buying enough Kodak product to make the mininum order. With Ilford getting a new distributor, you are going to see a lot more of that brand shortly.

I am lucky because I live in greater Toronto and I have access to within an hour's driving distance east or west of my house in Oakville a dozen different stores selling film and paper. Some of course are better than others in terms of selection.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CRhymer View Post
    H At least The Camera Store still acknowledges the existence of film..
    Mainly because the Managing director still shoots film and is determined to be the last man standing in Calgary for film. However, sales have collapsed compared to what they used to be.

The clerk I usually deal with said that on average he maybe sells 30 rolls of film a month. when I worked there about 10 years ago it was very common to see the local pros 3 times a week and they'd buy 50 rolls a time. Those days are long gone I'm afraid.

I was in there yesterday and I didn't notice any Plus X, but I also didn't look at the film fridge. I think they mainly stock Tri-x and T Max. They have lots of Ilford in stock.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Try our very own Rob Skeoch (www.bigcameraworkshops.com). I've placed a couple of orders with him and all went well. He does carry some of the more esoteric stuff as well like ULF cameras and film, Efke IR820, and the line of Kentmere papers and chemicals which can be hard to find this side of the border. You can also try Beau Photo in Vancouver. They've got a good stock of traditional products and can generally order something for you if they don't stock it.

- Justin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin