Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,645   Posts: 1,481,249   Online: 778

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Developing agfa apx400@200 with dektol

Hey,

Yet another film developing question. I didn't find any usefull info on the net so I turn to apug
    Has anyone tried this and if so what developing times and dilutions did you come up with ?

thanks !

P.S.: I already mixed the dektol to a working solution of 1+1
    Last edited by mohawk; 04-19-2008 at 02:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just to make sure....

dektol is for paper
    xtol is for film

Shooter
    35mm
    I know dektol is meant for paper, but it's possible to develop film with dektol. It's gonna be very grainy, but that's what I'm going for

Shooter
    35mm
    Ok, the negatives are rinsing atm. I developed for 3mins and gave them 5s/min agitation. The dilution I used was 1:2.
    I think they came out fine, but maybe slightly overdeveloped, I'll have to see..

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi there,

In the past I have dev'd HP5 Plus in Dektol 1+9 @ 20 deg C for 5 min, and it gave a nice contrasty and GRAINY look in the print (35mm HP5+ enlarged to 8x10). Tried same with both TMAX400 and Delta 400 35mm - contrast was up but grain disappointingly fine! Yes, I would use the HP5+ combo again for 'good' grain.

Regards
    TonyR

Shooter
    35mm
    The apx(@200) gave me ok grain, nothing too spectacular though. I'll push to 1600 next time, and use a more diluted solution. This will increase the developing time which will contribute to grain aswell.

Thanks for your input TonyR !

Shooter
    Large Format
    It used to be quite common to develop negs in Dektol...either go 1+9 for something resembling normal or, try 1+3 or 1+4 for push processing. It is quite useful. I think there are a few here who frequently develop film in dektol. jnanian comes to mind.

Shooter
    35mm

Try 1:23

Seriously.

Not long ago I came across an old Shutterbug story about DIY sensitometry. There were a couple of small shots of a house using different developers. One was 1:23 in Dektol. I swear, it had the best tonality of the bunch, whatever could be gleaned off of that old newsprint. No mention of development times, nor how they came up with 1:23.

It will never be fine grain, of course, cuz that 80 grams of sulfite is spread mighty thin. Probably very high acutence.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hey Paul,

Do you happen to know what the according dev time would be for lets say TMY-2 pushed to 1600 ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    It used to be quite common to develop negs in Dektol...either go 1+9 for something resembling normal or, try 1+3 or 1+4 for push processing. It is quite useful. I think there are a few here who frequently develop film in dektol. jnanian comes to mind.
    Actually, John develops film in diluted Ansco 130. I occasionally do so, as well.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin