Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,522   Posts: 1,572,251   Online: 761

Side effect of stand development

Here are some scans I made to illustrate the differing response of films to stand development with respect to edge effects.The photographs are of a gray card on a black card.The scans show the black/gray edge and are about 2.5 mm of negative in height.
    With Adox 25 (same as Efke 25) and Tri-X there is a light line on the gray side,the edge effect.With FP4+ no edge effect can be seen,the gray is more even. IIRC, PE wrote this may be due to more iodide in these newer emulsions.
    I believe the main use of stand development is to increase tonal range but it appears to have this side effect with some films.Scans are not a perfect representation of the edge effects on silver gelatin prints,on which I can see some slight edge effect on stand developed FP4,but they give the general idea.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adox 25 Rodinal 1+200.jpg   Tri-X Rodinal 1+200.jpg   FP4 Rodinal 1+200.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Which developer(s)? What development times? What agitation pattern(s)?

Labels on the images might be helpful too.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You are looking at the left edge of the wide line in the left attachment here. You cannot see if there is a 'peak' in the dark area due to density.

The chart on the right, either negative or positive, will give a much more definitive answer, but this is certainly a good example you have presented.

However, without a check with normal processing and/or another developer, we cannot 'prove' stand development did this.

PE
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Edge Effects.jpg   print def ilford.jpg  

Developer was Rodinal 1+200 ,agitate 1min then stand 90min 68F.
    Left image Adox 25 ,center Tri-X ,right FP4.
    Sorry about the lack of info originally, these are the first Mackie lines to be transmitted by the electric telegraph.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Johnson View Post
    With FP4+ no edge effect can be seen,the gray is more even. IIRC, PE wrote this may be due to more iodide in these newer emulsions.
    I would expect that Tri-X has more iodide then FP4+ since it has a higher speed. PE?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I believe so, but I'm not sure due to the new sensitization.

PE

PE, all I have to illustrate the difference between normal and stand development are two Plus-X photos in Rodinal.They are Photoshop processed the same. Stand development (Rodinal 1+200 90m 68F) ,right thumbnail, gives more edge effect with this film I believe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Plus-X Rodinal 1+50.jpg   Plus-X Rodinal 1+200.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Alan;

Thanks. That is very revealing to me. It does illustrate the effects of stand + rodinal and how it can differ from film to film. Thiis is a good illustration of why different people get different results, due to film, developer and technique.

Thanks.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Johnson View Post
    Sorry about the lack of info originally, these are the first Mackie lines to be transmitted by the electric telegraph.
    Thanks. I'd have guessed at the films correctly, but it's nice to have all the info.

Lee

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin