Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,277   Online: 873

Shooter
    4x5 Format

PC-TEA, can the stock solution go bad?

I think I might have just experienced a development failure using some old PC-TEA stock that has sat for about about 1.5 years in a 3/4 empty bottle.

Either that, or I mislabeled the bottle (and used Instant Mytol A solution instead).

Is PC-TEA supposed to last a long time in a 3/4 empty plastic juice bottle?

The film didn't develop. Mostly clear (can barely make out exposed frames)

Images
    What color was the stock? Try a snip test to see if it still has a kick. It's a good idea to do that with any developer before you trust it with something valuable. Develop a bit in room light for 2 minutes. It should be pretty dark by then.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer View Post
    What color was the stock? Try a snip test to see if it still has a kick. It's a good idea to do that with any developer before you trust it with something valuable. Develop a bit in room light for 2 minutes. It should be pretty dark by then.
    I think its more likely the stock I used was indeed Instant Mytol and I mistakenly thought it was PC-TEA. I need to get more organized :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm glad you think you've sorted it out.

My opened bottle of PC-TEA concentrate is now over a year old, and has gone a nice dark colour. Still works just as well as the day I made it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have some PC-TEA that is at least two years old and it works fine. But I keep mine in a glass bottle. I think, although I am not a scientist, that keeping developers in glass is important. The sides and bottom of most plastic bottles lets oxygen in.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by P C Headland View Post
    I'm glad you think you've sorted it out.

My opened bottle of PC-TEA concentrate is now over a year old, and has gone a nice dark colour. Still works just as well as the day I made it.
    Yes, my stock has gone dark but it works fine as well.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Images
    The Dow web site has extensive date about the ethanolamines, mono- di- and tri-. TEA will turn dark with heating, but there is no mention of loss of potency. The problem with darkening is that most people don't want dark colored cosmetic ointments, tonics or shampoos.
    Gadget Gainer

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin