Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,878   Posts: 1,520,317   Online: 1203

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    An easy to find replacement for combustible butane is argon. This (and a suitable regulator) can be found where they sell arc-welding equipment. I got mine from the local DIY shed. The bottles are quite large and having rounded bottoms don't stand up on their own however; I keep meaning to find a suitable clamp/holder...

Bob.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Dave,

"Aside from safety issues (I always remove the original drinks label and re-label with clear signs for the product within....and store in a special dark & cool cabinet) "

Kids don't read labels, accident waiting to happen. Hydrogen peroxide bottles are dark brown and easy to buy, work very well and don't look like soda bottles.

Just a thought.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dave may not have kids. I don't.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    I am liable to use lots of different kinds of bottles depending on what is handy in the right size at the time I need it. Yesterday I washed out and saved a Grolsch beer bottle with a nice ceramic/rubber stopper. But I have an idea I haven't tried yet that might be either stupid or genius. I am going to get a bag of balloons .. the long skinny kind, and try inserting one down into a bottle and then blowing it up till it completely fills the bottle. :-)
    Dennis
    Whatever turns you on! :o Just don't try it in public.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the comments and suggestions.
    As I said...."aside from safety issues"...., however I do take your point about kids not reading the labels on bottles, I guess that they wouldn't read the labels on the original bottles either so secure storage is mandatory.
    For your peace of mind, I have no kids (under 20y) who would go near my chemicals, which are stored in the back of my garage (they can smell, she tells me!) in a lockable filing cabinet.
    I have stored stock ID11 for up to 8 months with no apparent effect on it's performance and now wish to try one or two other films devs, to be stored the same way (XTOL, Rodinal).

Dave...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    Are you suggesting propane is an inert gas? Sounds risky. Why not just use collapsible jugs to exclude air above the stored liquid?
    Yes, I am and no it's not particularly dangerous. We are talking about using very small amounts of gas in an environment that should be well ventilated and free of open flames. Tetenal Protectan is noting more than canned butane, and sold for just this purpose. Why pay $12 for protectan when I can get a bottle of propane (not very different) for about $3?

Those collapsible accordion bottles are the biggest ripoff going. The caps don't seal well and the plastic is gas permeable. I have a few of them lying around. I don't use them any more.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Rujji's techno pages (now wikified, try silvergrain.org?) have a discussion of different types of recyled bottles and which chemicals they are advised for (with his knowledge to support all the field success posted here).

I believe it was #1 (PETE) for developers, and #1 or #2 (HDPE?) for the rest.

Saran (I don't know what polymer it is) was recommended as a cap liner as it is not gas permeable, or the least so.

I recall a vendo guy wheeling away unopened carbonated soft drinks from a store once & I asked it they had shelf life issues. He replied 6 weeks - they get flat enough the mfr doesn't want them on the shelves. Admittedly, pressurized is a different situation than photochem storage.

Now, this was a vendo guy; he may have had the explanation wrong - he said that the bottles DID 'breathe'. It could have been the cap too considering Ryuji's discussion of caps.

Murray
    Murray

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin