Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,719   Posts: 1,514,839   Online: 950

Shooter
    Large Format

Same film different formats

Could not find what I was looking for in the archieves. My wife and I shoot 35mm, 120 4X5 and now 5X7. For the last couple of years most of the film we have been using has been given to us but now running real low on 120 and as there is none in town and am going to Vancouver next week going to be stocking up. This has me thinking: Is there any down side or disadvantage to using one film as your standard film for all these formats? I do not mean only using one type of B&W film but for "normal" use does it make sense to say decide on FP4 or TMax100 for all four formats or are there differences between roll film and sheet film that it does not matter.
    Will take a few years to use up all the types of 35mm film and got lots of Technical Pan in both 35mm and 4X5. i know that some films such as Pan F does not come in sheet film and we did stock up on some High Speed IR last winter.
    To summarize;Does it make sense to decide on one type of film for general use and use the same emulsion on all four formats? Not really looking for advise on which format but if you wish to suggest that too I will be pleased to read. Thanks everyone

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I prefer films that are made in all the formats I shoot. Some may be different emulsions in different formats (like TX in 35mm and MF, TXP in MF and sheet film, and there used to be TXT sheet film, all called Tri-X), but even in those cases, they're similar in their overall tonality and spectral sensitivity, so having one film across formats can give your work a kind of tonal unity, and I like that.

There are films that I don't often use, but would if they came in sheet sizes, like Delta 400--beautiful stuff, but I don't want to be working on a project that involves a combination of medium and large format and have the rollfilm looking radically different from the sheet film.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Not a lot of choices if you want to stay with the same emulsion format to format, ie, 35mm, 120 and sheet film. FP4 and HP5 from Ilford are available in all formats. I don't think you would be able to do it on the Kodak side other than Tmax 100 as you point out. Tmax 400 if you are willing to cut 8X10 down to 5x7. Fuji Acros 100 is available in all 35mm, 120 and sheet but the sheet film is very expensive.

I usually just use whatever I like best in what ever format. Tri-x 320 for sheet and 120. Delta 3200 in 120. Delta 400 or Acros in 35mm. No consistency there!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I use across 100, adox and fp4+ film for 6x6 and 4x5.
    The bigger you go, the less important the brand is for quality....
    Across 100 is a nice film with a good reprocity reputation (above 120 secs it starts). Fp4+ uses long times above 4 seconds (4secs = 10sec for reprocity).
    the adox is also a good reprocity film (above 100 secs, adjust a 1/2 stop).
    The adox is somewhat softer emulsion/scratches easier.

I now use across 100 on 6x6.
    fp4+ when going out (landscapes)
    adox chs 100/50 for studio.

I soup all in pyrocat HD 1:1:100 at 9-10 min.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used to shoot APX100 in all formats, well almost except 6x9 and APX25. It was great, easy and as Agfa films used the DIN standard for their ISO speed much better.

When Agfa dropped LF film I switched to Kodak's Tmax100 but for tonality it's a 50ISO film, so not quite as good.

Recent world travels have shown only one manufacturer's B&W film available in all the countries I've visited ILFORD so after 20+ years I've gone back to my roots. I started with FP3 and HP3 now I'm preferring Delta 10 & 400 but getting superb results with FP4+ and HP5+

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 04-22-2008 at 01:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin