Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,782   Online: 720

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    Not only is propane combustable, but in the right mixtures, it is explosive. The other thing that was not mentioned is that propane has similar dissolving powers to gasoline or alcohol. Propane valves and flex lines are different than those used for water or air.

It's not that I think that putting propane in a jar is especially dangerous, it is just having propane around and available is dangerous.

Consider a one-shot developer.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Large Format
    The latest "dust off" type product that I bought does not identify the ingredients other then to say that it contains no HFC or CFC (both are broad indentifiers of refrigerants) and thus claims no ozone depletion capabilities. Beyond that I don't know what the product may contain. If it were to contain oxygen in any of it's forms or formulations it would seem to have the capability of entering into an oxidation of the developer.

I have found that with Pyrocat HD or ABC pyro that the mixtures I make up can be of fairly small quantities (if I so desire). This is my answer to this whole dilemna. I gain better tonal gradation and accutance as a primary result and the cost is lower then buying premixed developers. Since either of these developers are two and three part, respectively, the life of the stock solutions is greatly extended as well.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Bob,
    When you say "that other web site" I assume you mean photo.net? To give you a photonet type answer , if you search the APUG archives, there was a tread about Protectan. you might see if there's any additional info.
    take care,
    tom

Images
    <sarchasim> If you use propane for your chems, be sure to plug the top of the bottle with a stick of TNT </sarchasim>
    hi!

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Now, there's no reason to head for the bomb shelters because someone mentioned propane. In the right mixture it is explosive, but so is just about anything. It is, at least, far less corrosive than air!

Personally I would choose butane. Heavier, lower boiling point, somewhat less explosive, and easily available in the form of camper's gas, or single-use cigarette lighters. You can protect an unbelievable lot of chemicals with the gas from one single giveaway lighter, especially if you find a company with a huge stock of now-politically-incorrect advertising material

I smoke, so I always have one nearby
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bob, when I used to use Kodalith A & B developers I used to put them into the plastic bags from the home brew wine kits. The kind you put into a box with a plastic spout on the end. The have a UV or light exposure coating on the plastic and you can get most of the air out of them when you fill them. Once in the box you just open the spout and pour out what ever you want as the outside air pressure collapses the bag. It worked pretty good and kept the developer fresher longer.
    Brian McDowell

Shooter
    35mm
    Ladies, gentlemen

If, for some reason you notice I'm not posting anymore, it's just because my bottle of paper developer has exploded (-:

I have some butane left fom a lighter refil, and have put some inside the bottle.
    Let's wait and see how well it keeps (although I usually finish one liter in about two weeks - 4 darkroom sections)

Jorge O

Shooter
    35mm
    About non-cfc sprays, etc

Over here (Brazil) these non-cfc things (to my nose, at least) have a faint butane smell...

Ole, you almost say you have been using butane, but not quite. If you have then what is your experience with it and do you smoke when you are opening a used container? I don't care what I use as long as it is available and doesn't cost $100.00 just for the tank to keep it in. So butane would be fine if it works. Or Dust off?

In searching for more info I found one person that stated that the tetanol protectan that everyone seems to have liked was actually propane and is still available outside the US...????

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I recently bought some Tetenal Protectan (400ml can) and it contains propane/butane. It is readily available here in the Netherlands and also in Germany. Can be ordered at: www.fotoimpex.de

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin