Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,662   Online: 1124

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

need help,developed my first roll in a long time

so i finally developed a roll of film after a 4 or 5 year hiatus.it is plus x 125 24 exposure roll in rodinal 1:50.
    well i thought all went well but when i was finished i noticed that there was a fog to the film,and i saw the fog in the shape of the film leader on the first few frames,the exposed negs look ok but the unexposed areas are were you see this definate fog(for lack of a better word)i thought it should be clear but this is the first roll of plus x i ever used.
    i was using a yankee tank and i think i may have gotten the leader in one row off however it didnt bind while rolling it on.
    also the fog is darker were the perferations are from top to bottom or left to right from perf to perf kind of like stripes,so what did i do??

i have another tank and i think i will try it just incase the yankee is the problem.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Let Foto B&W Take a Look

It's difficult to tell without actually seeing the film. I'd take it to Foto B&W near Omonia, and let them have a look. Here's the website:

http://www.photo-shops.com/eshop/cat...hp?language=el
    Mike Richards' Mobile Me gallery, including the Holocaust and Turkey Expo.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Try re-fixing it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mike,
    I think he's in Athens, US and not in Athens, Greece. ;-)

rkmiec,
    Sounds like a leak to me. Last time I had that, I had forgot to use the tube-like holder in a plastic tank.

-Sino.
    Close your eyes to see. This will take a while.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If the fog appears milky then refix it as David suggests. If there is a pattern around the perforations it might mean that you need to give more agitation when fixing. It's possible the film leader had stopped fixer getting to those frames where you see the pattern.
    Matt Gorringe

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    so how long should i fix,the bottle said 1 to 2 minutes and i did not agitate very much so that could be the issue,as far as the leader i didnt trim the cut end off and i remembered after the fact that i was supposed to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    What fixer are you using and how did you mix it up? 'Cuz that sounds awfully short. The standard test is to see how long it takes for the film to clear, then double it.

No need to get fancy: I'd just pour the fixer into a bowl and drop the fogged roll in and leave it sit for 5 minutes and see if the fog clears. Then wash as usual.

If re-fixing doesn't brighten up your negatives as I think it should, and your fixer is fresh, then you may have leaks in your tank or camera. It'll take you 5 minutes to find out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Addendum: My guess is that the bottle says 1 to 2 minutes FOR PAPER. Film takes longer.

Anyway, let us know!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    so it was the fixer,i must have not allowed enough time,when i put in a test piece off the roll it cleared in a min or less so i refixed the roll and all is better now,i am thankful to those that posted.now i can happily develop the 30 plus rolls and sheets of film i have been sitting on....thanks again

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin