Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,765   Posts: 1,484,078   Online: 964

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

632nd roll of film

came out completely clear. No numbers, film type, nothing. Funny, the first 631 rolls came out fine (well, aside from various exposure, composition and developing problems). What did I do, fix it before developing? Too bad, I'm sure that roll had 36 keepers , including a couple of my new great grand nephew.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There are such things as faulty film rolls, so I wouldn't take it personally. Chances are you just got a faulty roll.
    Last edited by Kevin Caulfield; 04-25-2008 at 01:00 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's always the good ones that get killed... I suspect you are correct: got the fixer confused with the developer. Didn't take me 632 rolls to do that one myself - closer to 2

Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had this happen to my recently. I'm glad I'm not the only one.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

This is a mistake that I've never made, and taht you never should. It is so simple to tell developer and fixer apart. Put them in order on the table, check, double-check, and when in doubt check again.

Film is too expensive to waste through carelessness. I'm a disorganized SOB, but NOT when it comes to soupling film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

different bottles help me here

In B&W I keep developers in amber glass bottles, and if necessary, dilute into a measuring graduate before loading the film reels/holders.

I use a water bath for a stop. The film tank stays in the water stop until I put the glass developer away up on the shelf above the sink, and then I bring the plastic fixer bottles down and pour it into the (rinsed) graduate.

I also pour a small amount of the fixer - about 30ml maybe- into a little measuring cup, and drop the film leader for the film in just before I dump the graduate of fixer into the (now drained rinse water) tank.

If I am suspect of the age of the fixer, or haven't used it for a while, pouring it into the graduate first lets me check for any sulfur beginning to precipitate. If it is just silver specks (as in what occur in PE's superfix formula) I filter though a coffee filter ahead of starting the developer.

I got into the plastic bottle for fixer habbit because frequently my hands/gloves are wet by the time I get to fixing. Also when the sulfur drops out and plates to the bottle big time it is a lot easier to discard a well labelled recylced plastic pop bottle that was being used to store fix, than a hard to come by amber bottle.

I also got into it becasue I have come close to doing exactly what you have done.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I was discussing photo blunders and disasters with my daughter the other day and I had to confess that I did this once myself. It was somewhere around roll 200.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just take a sniff of what you pour in before you pour it in...that's how I prevent this, honestly. Most developer, and definitely fixer, have recognizable smells.

2F/2F

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin