Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,842   Online: 898

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Verizzo View Post
    Acros claims an RMS granularity of 7, TMX is 8. There is at least one post I've run across that says Fuji sort of stretched the ratings, using a not readily available developer and rounding down. So, let's say that for all practical purposes, the objective, machine determined granularity is the same. Doesn't mean our eyes can't prefer one grain structure over another, but let's start with objective testing.

The measured, objective, acutance of both films is the same, 200 lpm at 1000:1 contrast. A high solvent developer will reduce that sharpness. Hmmm, maybe "sharpness" should be the word.
    I have used both T-MAX 100 and Fuji Acros and my work flow gives a slight advantage in grain to the latter. You might have to make a rather large print to see the difference, but at least based on my experience Acros does have finer grain than T-MAX 100.

What is measured at 200 lines/mm is not acutance, but resolution. Acutance is a measure of the steepness or abruptness of boundaries between tonal areas and is done with a knife edge test.

Sharpness is a subjective evaluation of image clarity and depends on resolution (detail) and acutance. Resolution is not affected much by developer, but acutance is affected by both developer, dilution and type of agitation.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bob -

This question is in the same category as "boxers or briefs" or "Chevy's or Fords" because it is a choice and the answer is always subjective.

My choice is T-Max 400 for 35mm, and whatever is inexpensive for 4x5.
    Louie

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post

What is measured at 200 lines/mm is not acutance, but resolution. Acutance is a measure of the steepness or abruptness of boundaries between tonal areas and is done with a knife edge test.

Sandy King
    Thank you for that correction. My bad.

Shooter
    35mm

I'm thinking of joining the TMY-2 club

Quote Originally Posted by Monophoto View Post
    Bob -

This question is in the same category as "boxers or briefs" or "Chevy's or Fords" because it is a choice and the answer is always subjective.

My choice is T-Max 400 for 35mm, and whatever is inexpensive for 4x5.
    Lesseeeee, grain the same as Plus-X, sharpness (thanks, Sandy!) the same as TMX, high speed.

Do you shoot and develop straight, or do you have other methods? (Sounds like torture techniques, doesn't it?)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin