Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,130   Online: 1090
      
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Los Alamos, NM
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,052
    Simon warned earlier that this paper was not recommended for conventional enlargers or for printing color negatives. His comment in this thread does hold some hope, however. That said, it looks a lot like Panalure in its sensitivity and contrast. (Grade 4 is about what you need for color negatives.) I can see contrast control as being a possible headache, although color negatives are pretty consistent. I wonder how it responds to the Beers developers and similar contrast tweaking brews.

  2. #12
    AgX
    AgX is online now

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    8,614
    Frank,

    I assume that frotog's point is that aside from spectral considerations this paper might be be slower from its basic emulsion formula as a digital printer might have a more powerful lightsource than a common enlarger.

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    third stone from the sun
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    723
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Frank,

    I assume that frotog's point is that aside from spectral considerations this paper might be be slower from its basic emulsion formula as a digital printer might have a more powerful lightsource than a common enlarger.
    Exactly.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Valley Stream, NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,216
    We are assuming that a laser printing device would deliver a much higher output than a tungsten light source and that may not be the case. Knowing nothing about these devices, I couldn't say. Maybe someone will chime in here with some comparative numbers. Something like lux delivered to the paper by a typical tungsten enlarger vs. a laser printing machine for a given magnification factor. That might be just the sort of data needed to make an informed decision about the product.
    Frank Schifano

  5. #15
    MattKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Delta, British Columbia, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    12,394
    Images
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by fschifano View Post
    We are assuming that a laser printing device would deliver a much higher output than a tungsten light source and that may not be the case. Knowing nothing about these devices, I couldn't say. Maybe someone will chime in here with some comparative numbers. Something like lux delivered to the paper by a typical tungsten enlarger vs. a laser printing machine for a given magnification factor. That might be just the sort of data needed to make an informed decision about the product.
    I have a vague memory about reading another post about this issue which referred as well to considerations of reciprocity, and the fact that laser exposures were designed to be very short.

    So there could be other considerations as well.

    Matt

  6. #16
    keithwms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Charlottesville, Virginia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,079
    Blog Entries
    20
    Images
    129
    I was interested in trying this stuff but last I checked, I could only get some by buying a large roll. At least that's what wynit told me. If there are sheets available then I would become re-interested.

    The oriental hyper seagull does ship in sheet form, as I recall, but I haven't tried it yet.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

    [APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

  7. #17
    Bob Carnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Toronto-Ontario
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Posts
    4,661
    Images
    14
    I use this paper RC digital and the fibre version as well.
    Both papers are maximised for laser exposure and I believe some LED devices.
    I have not used either papers under the enlarger .

    The fibre version is basically gallerie G 4 with an extra red sensitivitey
    The RC version *I believe is Ilford MG4 rc with an extra red sensitivitely.

    I believe that the next wave of young photographers will be using these papers at school with enlargers much like the digital deveer units.

    Both papers are of excellent quality ..
    I concentate on the fibre paper exclusevely for show printing, which I can then tri tone exactly the same way any traditional fibre paper is finished.
    I use the rc version as a tester of digital files to look for artifacts and changes required before going to show printing.

    We first started this process in 2002 using Agfa Classic, ** I believe we were the first Lab , using lambda laser device to produce fibre base prints.**

    This material or product has become an very important service for our Lab.
    At the present there are a select few labs worldwide using this process and paper .. I think that within 5-10 years there will be thousand of labs using this black and white bartya emulsion, digitally and analogue.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    third stone from the sun
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    723
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I have a vague memory about reading another post about this issue which referred as well to considerations of reciprocity, and the fact that laser exposures were designed to be very short.

    So there could be other considerations as well.

    Matt
    If the paper's sensitivity isn't radically different than a traditional b/w paper than perhaps it's merely the paper's extended red sensitivity that sets it apart? This would be the best case scenario for those of us interested in using this paper under an enlarger. Unless I'm unaware of a digital process that uses a tungsten source for exposure the inclusion of "tungsten or tungsten halogen" as appropriate means of exposure as stated in the product info from Ilford seems to suggest that one could indeed use this paper w/ an enlarger. I was hoping that Simon would come back with a definitive answer as the info so far is tantalizingly ambiguous.

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    third stone from the sun
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    723
    I have a roll on order. I'll be back once I have some results.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin