Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,012   Posts: 1,524,700   Online: 844

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

Ilfospeed digital rc with enlarger?

Is it possible to use ilfospeed digital rc with a traditional tungsten bulb enlarger? What grade is it? What about speed? Thanks..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Read this http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/...1450482628.pdf. Be advised that the paper is panchromatic and must be handled in total darkness. It might just be the thing for printing B&W images from color C-41 negatives. Play with CP (color printing) filters or your dichro head to control contrast.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Large Format
    thanks for the link. There is mention of exposing the paper with a tungsten source. My understanding is that it is not a multi-contrast paper so no point in changing the color pack to control contrast. I'd still like to hear from someone who has actually used this product with an enlarger.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Actually there is some sense to playing around with color printing filtration when using color negatives because the paper is panchromatic. It will respond to filters similar to the way panchromatic B&W films respond to red, blue, yellow, and green filters. Ctein wrote about this in regards to Panalure paper, another, but now unfortunately discontinued, panchromatic B&W paper from Kodak that was made for just that purpose.
    Frank Schifano

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This paper has been hinted at as a substitute for those gone panchromatic papers here repeatedly. Though I guess no one here used it so far.

Simon Galley did not react to any of these postings...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear All,

I will speak to our technical people, I am aware some work was done on conventional exposure, as you clearly know it was designed specifically for laser exposure :

Regards

Simon / ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    Large Format
    Exposing light sources
    ILFOSPEED RC DIGITAL is designed for use with the red,
    green and blue lasers used in digital enlargers. However
    it can also be used with conventional tungsten or tungsten
    halogen light sources.

...this is from the poop sheet that Frank directed me too. Unless I'm misunderstanding something it appears as though someone at Ilford has tried this paper with a traditional light source. Still...what grade and what speed?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by frotog View Post
    Exposing light sources
    ILFOSPEED RC DIGITAL is designed for use with the red,
    green and blue lasers used in digital enlargers. However
    it can also be used with conventional tungsten or tungsten
    halogen light sources.

...this is from the poop sheet that Frank directed me too. Unless I'm misunderstanding something it appears as though someone at Ilford has tried this paper with a traditional light source. Still...what grade and what speed?
    Grade 4, with a digital system I guess you adjust the contrast in Photo Shop or Correl. I am not sure about speed, would the light source change the speed?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Besides the paper being panchromatic I suppose Ilford might have tweaked the paper speed to be optimized for the intensity of light-jet exposure. A prohibitively slow paper speed might not deliver reasonable exposure times with a tungsten source in which case I doubt I'd experiment with this paper. But if it's essentially a panchromatic version of the old ilfospeed in grade 4 I'll give it a try.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm fairly sure the speed will change with different light sources. As with any light sensitized material, how much will depend upon the spectral sensitivity of the material and the color temperature of the light. Looking at the spectral sensitivity chart published in Ilford's document, sensitivity is pretty flat through most of the visible spectrum, falls off sharply at the red end of the spectrum, then has a spike in the near infrared. I think it would be fair to say that a light source rich in light at the blue/green end of the spectrum will deliver a substantially higher paper speed than a light source where orange and red make up the better part of the output.
    Frank Schifano

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin