Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,703   Posts: 1,482,671   Online: 751

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Delta 100 problems (8x10)

Anybody shooting Delta 100 in 8x10?
    On a recent trip to CA i exposed a few sheets of Delta 100 All have defects on the back, not the emulsion side.
    The defects looks like surface to drum (Jobo Expert 3005) problems and my initial thought was that i had induced some moisture when reloading in the Motel i stayed at. (How is that possible in SoCal) Today i took a couple of test shots and i see the same problem.
    I have developed TMY and Foma 200 in between the Delta 100 and have no problems what so ever. The process is: 3 to 4 minute pre wash, 16 minute 1+1+100 Pyrocat MC two stop rinse in clean water and Zonal Pro or TF-4 Fix. 20 minute wash.
    I have developed Delta 100 in 4x5 and 5x7 and all are coming out fine.

Looks like a 3th tier product but i need some facts before i write of Ilford for good.
    I like the look of Delta 100 but if i can't trust the QA @ Ilford i will spend my money elsewhere.

Any suggestions?

Jan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My feeling is that you can trust the QA at Ilford. You should contact them with the batch number and details of the problems. Save the sheets as they may want to see them.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What exactly are the defects?

It could be that the dyes haven't cleared out of the AH layer on the back properly - I'd try soaking a sheet in a tray with some hypo-clear or refixing.

I've shot two boxes of 8x10 Delta 100 and processed in a JOBO without any issues. I normally don't even use a hardening fixer since I develop in Pyrocat. Might be a red herring, but I wonder if the age of the film might be an issue, even if frozen. Ilford hasn't made delta 100 in 8x10 for quite a while.

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's a bit hard to describe the defects, it looks like part of the surface is glossy and part is matted or scuffed from contacts. Paterns are uneven from sheet to sheet.
    I just sacrificed an unexposed sheet and it looks perfectly normal so, it is something in my process that induce this issue. I did refix and rewash but that did not change anything.
    Tom, arren't you thinking Delta 400? This is Delta 100 and is well inside expiration date.
    Thanks for your inputs.

jan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duffy View Post
    ...Ilford hasn't made delta 100 in 8x10 for quite a while.
    8x10 Delta 100 has been continuously produced for years and is still readily available. See page 3 of Harman's latest Product Availability Listing:

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/200711714387916.pdf

"1743490 - DP100 8x10in 25 STOCK WW"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try to get your fingers into the cylinders of the drum feel around for any warping that may have been developing over time. If you feel any bumps (even if not) do a test run and mark your film somehow to coincide with each cylinder (they have roman numeral markings); this may reveal a consistent pattern. Had a similar sounding experience, and it turned out to be warping in the cylinders.

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, it was me again and thankfully not the Delta 100 film. Just needs a lot more fix than what i have experienced with 4x5 and 5x7 processed the same way.
    A total of 10 minutes in TF-4 1+3 is a lot more than recomended. But, it cleaned the back.

Thanks.

jan

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    8x10 Delta 100 has been continuously produced for years and is still readily available. See page 3 of Harman's latest Product Availability Listing:

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/200711714387916.pdf

"1743490 - DP100 8x10in 25 STOCK WW"
    My mistake, I guess. I thought Ilford had stopped producing all its Delta films is sheet film sizes.

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Once again i was to quick to claim victory. After the film had dried the same rough pattern appeared on the back again.
    Will call the store tomorrow to see if they have had other complints.

jan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin