Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,465   Online: 950

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm just curious, is there any reason not to use a number of different clips to separate 4x5 negs in a unicolor tube? I'm about to test about using both wooden clothes pins and the blackplastic/metal spring paperclips.

Images
    The wooden cloths pins will work, but will soak up some chems. I wouldn't risk it.
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The black spring clips won't lock all the way down the "V" and the wooden pins aren't sturdy enough to withstand the liquid sloshing around without popping off. I guess I may just have to try and find the clothespins from largeformatphotography.info
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Images
    Are you sure they are popping off? I have used wooden ones in the past (the spring loaded ones) and now use plastic cloths pins. They have never fallen off(knock wood)
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They are very cheapy wooden clothespins and the spring actually twisted slightly and they popped off. I think this is due to their swelling from the water. (I ran it 10 minutes with 500mL of water).
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Images
    Strange. This is with a normal unicolor base?
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Did the original spacers work properly? I found a photo of an original Unicolor spacer next to a ruler so a copy could be made. Looks like an easy thing to do with some heavy plastic. If anyone is interested.

I can post the photo in the gallery, but it is not my file and I can't remember where I downloaded it if it matters.

Regards,
    John

I think that photo of the original was something from tim atherton on photo.net. I have tried to make those and the problem is always finding a suitable plastic or rubber material. Every one I tried either didn't flex enough or flexed too much or crumbled apart. My best solution has been to make rings by cutting 1/4" sections from thin plastic pipe. Then split the plastic ring and you have a clip that works well and is cheap to replace.

Rings made from plastic pipe sound like a good idea!

I was thinking about putting drops of super-glue in the crease between the guides and the wall so that the film won't slide around. I wouldn't be able to slide the film in against the wall of the drum, but I don't do that anyway, since I was getting badly scratched negatives. Instead, I bend the film away from the wall, move it into place, and then push on the center of the sheet until it snaps into place.

RobR

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin