Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,912   Posts: 1,584,690   Online: 735

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'm seeing a lot of bricks and single rolls of HIE up on EBAY now. the prices are at a premuim, but we all knew that was going to happen...

Try Efke IR 820 if you want a cheaper IR effect, ASA 1 and a 072 cutoff filter, and a tripod. i have samples at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/schafphoto/

Shooter
    35mm
    Wow, really great shots on your web site using the Efke film. Very impressive!
    Have you tried Ilford's SFX yet? Wondering what you think. I'm shooting a roll now, but haven't developed it yet.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Man, that is some great photography Schafphoto! Very jealous!! One question though... the pictures that had dogs & cats... if you need such long exposures how did you get them to stand still?!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Schafphoto View Post
    Try Efke IR 820 if you want a cheaper IR effect, ASA 1 and a 072 cutoff filter, and a tripod. i have samples at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/schafphoto/
    Agreed, the Efke has similar tonality to HIE, shame about the speed (lack of). SFX200 just doesn't have the look of HIE to me (this is all using the ilford supplied SFX filter).

Shooter
    Large Format
    not all the photos on my FLICKR site are EFKE 820c. some are older HIE Kodak Infrared, and matbe even a Konica 750 IR or two...I used the ilford SFX filter on the EFKE with good results, just VERY SLOW!!! 2 seconds at f8 in bright sun...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Got really lucky. My local camera shop had three rolls left. They just gave it to me because it was expired.
    I bought a roll earlier from them and paid around $10.00 for it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Austin View Post
    Wow, really great shots on your web site using the Efke film. Very impressive!
    Have you tried Ilford's SFX yet? Wondering what you think. I'm shooting a roll now, but haven't developed it yet.
    Hi Richard

I have used both Efke IR820 and SFX (metered EI 6, R72 filter, tripod), and while I am still very much in my infrared learning stages, I can say with a fair amount of conviction that IR820 is much more similar to HIE than SFX is. IR820 is truly an infrared film, it is SUPER grainy, and it has a lot more of that "infrared effect." SFX is more of a "near infrared film", so if you stick an R72 filter in front of that lens, be prepared for a longish exposure because SFX is very insensitive if you filter out up to 720nm, and the film only goes up to 740nm. Efke also make the "Aura" version of their film (sorry hasselbladians, 35mm only), which has no AH backing, so it gets even more of that HIE halation effect.

Having said that, if you remove the filter and shoot the films as standard ISO 200 or 100 films, the SFX becomes the clear winner, as it is much smoother, nicer, less grainy, and more contrasy. IR820 is a very ugly 100 speed film, but a super cool film in IR. Buy a couple rolls of both, as both are super cool films that should be in your freezer if you like IR
    David

A Holga is an ugly woman, a Brownie is a delicious treat.

dromanophoto.blogspot.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin