Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,660   Posts: 1,481,536   Online: 1083

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Overexposure and development

I am looking for some guidelines on overexposing APX 100/ Rollei Retro 100 and Delta 100.

I plan to overexpose pale skin tones by about 3 stops and process in Rodinal. I don't practise the zone system, but highlights need to be just below paper white and the skin tones at about zone 8-9.

Need a very contrasting look.

I don't see any times on the massive dev chart, so need some guidiance on development times.

Will 1+25 provide more contrast than 1+50 or is this something that will get argued forever? I'm thinking that 1+25 times will be too short.

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    1+25 will give you soot and white wash, very contrasty and with over exposure very dense negatives.

3 stops over exposure is perhaps a bit too drastic, try bracketing from 1 to 3 and developing in Rodinal @ 1+100 for 10mins @ 20C

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with Ian, 3 stops is too much exposure. Remember, you still have printing controls after neg development. I would try getting a good neg with good separation to start.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have not done this but I have exposed HP5+ thinking it was FP4+ so two stops over exposed.
    I use 75% of the normal developing time for each stop of over exposure:

i.e.

+1 stop - 75% of normal time
    +2 stops - 75% of 75% = 56% of normal time
    +3 stops - 75% of 75% of 75% = 42% of normal time

I have not tried the +3 stops myself.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe I am misunderstanding something. But if you overexpose and develop less you will get less contrast. But you said you wanted a contrasty look?

/matti

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Print on harder paper
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by George Collier View Post
    I agree with Ian, 3 stops is too much exposure. Remember, you still have printing controls after neg development. I would try getting a good neg with good separation to start.

I have been overexposing by 1-2 stops over the box speed and developing 1+50. This gives a fairly normal negative when lit with softboxes.

However, I have found it difficult to get suitable contrast on Grade 2 paper. Most printing techniques deal with lowering contrast.

So I feel I need to get a more suitable negative with much higher contrast. Very pale skin tones and black pupils.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Soft light, underexposure, overdevelopment. I think.
    /matti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Gary, I know what you're trying to do. In my small amount of experience rodinal isn't the best developer to do it with...it's too much about the mid-tones. I've found good old D-76 with PX or TX does what you want much much easier.

However, if you're heart set on rodinal, I usually shoot TX to match the Polaroid I like, that's a 2 stop overexposure, then I develop the film for my times for 400 or 800. It gives a good negative, but still not dense by old school standards, so sometimes I open up even a stop more over the polaroid. This is an example of flat light and TX rated at about 50 and dev for 200 here. It's not printed very hard, but easily could be. And if the agitation was more violent it'd get gutty pretty quick I think. This is an example of TX rated at about 100 and dev for 400, but with hard light: here...but those are printed harder than grade 2 for sure. Both are 1+50.

I don't think any of these negs would print on grade 2 well w/o heavy manipulation, too flat and thick. Again, I think PX in D-76 was made to do what you're describing. Try it out.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Boy, Delta 100 is pretty contrasty to begin with. Perhaps a quick bleach on your final prints will get you what you want, black pupils and skin at about zone 8. Overexposure is going to give you more neg density, not contrast. Perhaps shoot at box speed and give maybe two minutes over your EI50 time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin