Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,796   Online: 841

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

My first Polaroid... EeeeHH "Fuji"????????!!

Now with the demise of Polaroid, I have been looking at the possibility of getting 4x5 B&W instant film. Not a single choice here in the Netherlands, so after some tips of APUG'ers, I now have finally acquired a second hand Fuji PA-45 instant pack film holder and a pack of Fuji FP-500B45 straight from Japan send via airmail, which covers almost the full 4x5 image size...

Eager to try it out, I just managed to get a first shot before sunset that I would like to share here for others considering switching.

The picture is attached below. Notice it has a very nice smooth tonality and no streaks of poor development, something I almost never managed with my single sheet Polaroid type 52 and Polaroid 545i holder.

The Fuji PA-45 holder is easy to use, after you understand how to use it. See this thread I also posted today and the last link to the YouTube films for some examples:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/5...lm-holder.html

My second hand holder came without manual, so at first I was a bit at loss. With these films, and a Polaroid document about instant pack film, and after simply opening the film pack, it all became clear. Open the holder, just stack the film in in the correct orientation, close the holder, and pull out the protective black paper dark slide and you're ready to shoot.

Also, probably less waste, since far less single sheet waste and an overall smaller packaging compared to Polaroid. Best of all, it's only 1/2 the price of Polaroid, even including sending from the other side of the globe!

Now we are just left with one problem:

*** How are we going to call these instant shots???? ***

We all have been used saying "Oh, just shoot a Polaroid!" to say we're going to make an instant shot. The brand name Polaroid became synonimous with the photo itself.

So from now on we need to say "Shoot a Fuji"???

It sounds crap... but what choice have we left???????
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oorlogsmonument_Heemstede.jpg  
    Last edited by Marco B; 05-03-2008 at 04:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Stupid question time - so this is a pack film 4x5 holder... does it have its own darkslide? I'm guessing it has to but I wanted to make sure... oh yeah and is it too thick to put in a springback?
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The Fuji PA-45 I have does indeed have a darkslide, and it's fine in the springback on my Toyo.
    Another day goes under; a little bourbon will take the strain...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Heather, each pack has a paper darkslide that you use when loading, and then the PA45 holder has a normal, metal darkslide.

Gefeliciteerd Marco! Try the 3000b next!

Yeah, I think we need to call these fujiroids. I get tired of typing "fuji instant film" all the time.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, it has it's own darkslide made from stainless steel so you can take it out at any moment, and no, it's not a stupid question since I didn't know anything about this holder until it arrived yesterday... But even if you manage to forget to slide in the darkslide, and ruin a sheet, the other sheets should be well, according to the Polaroid manual of pack film in the other thread I pointed out.

No, it's not to thick to fit a springback, it fitted very comfortably in my Tachihara viewcamera's springback, without forcing anything, and even room to spair. The pack holds 10 sheets.

To give you an exact measurement: the holder is 28 mm thick.
    Last edited by Marco B; 05-03-2008 at 06:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    Yeah, I think we need to call these fujiroids. I get tired of typing "fuji instant film" all the time.
    Fujiroid sounds a bit to much like "hameroid" Maybe we should call them "fujins" (FUJi-INStant)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks for the info. I've dealt with fuji pack film before but in the smaller format for my polaroid cameras so I know about the (absolute pain in the butt to pull out) paper "darkslide".
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, of course I can not speak out of any experience with just one exposure made on pack film, but any issue related to pulling these darkslides, is likely not a Fuji specific issue, as the pack films of Polaroid and Fuji are interchangeble and thus must have virtually the same design.

Anyway, it might be that in 4x5 the issues are slightly less that with MF, since the darkslides are bigger, there is probably less chance of accidentely ripping something apart while pulling them.

Also, with Polaroid single sheets, my failure rate was at least 1 in a pack of 20, usually related to issues with the metal strip at the bottom of the sheets, that if bend only the slightest amount, do no longer properly hold the sheet in the 545 holder.

Well, let's see how the failure rate turns out to be for this pack film with time... useless speculating to much now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Marco, because the PA45 has no clip mechanism, your failure rate will be much better than it was with the 545. The drawback is that there is no way to process later- you have to process as you shoot. But this is a minor issue in my opinion.

Incidentally, in my latest blog, I discuss how to fix an issue with clip mechanism in the 545 holders. If the clips are hanging or they come out a bit bent, it is likely because of a design flaw involving two screws that are a bit too long. This can be easily fixed.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm
    Marco, who/where did you order this Fuji PA45 film holder? How much did it cost. Thanks for any info. It sure looks like a winner.

Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin