Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,710   Online: 776

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trimming paper

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I haven't had any adverse effects from trimming paper to size before processing. I do it all the time, cutting down 8x10 to 4 x 4x5 or 2 x 5x7 with a little left over for test strips.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller View Post
    Welcome to the forum, glad you found us.
    All paper is trimmed, at the factory.
    Something I often do, albeit on smaller sheets, is to print two images on one sheet, one on each half by spinning the sheet through 180 degrees after the first exposure and masking. The processing time is reduced as well. Only works if you are doing multiple copies of the same photograph of course.
    I assume that you are going to print more than one final print from the negative if you are going to the trouble of using an XPan and printing this large. When you get to the final print, you can expose one half of the large sheet while masking the other half. Then turn the sheet 180 degrees and expose the other half while masking the first exposure.

The problem of cutting the unexposed paper in the dimensions you desire is that squaring it is difficult, even with a rotary cutter. It is easier to get a good cut on printed paper in daylight. If the cut paper is even slightly off kilter you have wasted a lot of time in the end. I would use the inexact cut sheets/strips for practice prints and then use full sheets for the final prints.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I regularly trim 0.25mm off the edges of fibre based gelatin-silver photographs after processing. The edge is often slightly swollen or emulsion chipped after the extended wet times that fibre-base needs. The black edge that results from contacting a 8x10 neg on 8x10 paper is particularly vulnerable.

As for exact sizes forget them. Fibre-base paper may come out of the box at 8x10 but after processing it is a different size in the machine direction.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Ok, you guys have given me some food for thought. Perhaps the best thing would be to try it both ways, i.e. trimming one sheet before printing, and another after, and see what if any differences there are. Now I've just got to figure out a way to mat half of a sheet that big.

GMB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin