Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,111   Online: 869

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trimming paper

Shooter
    35mm RF

Trimming paper

Only recently discovered this forum, and am pleased to find such a resource for film-based photography. Until now I’ve been prowling the archives (and have subsequently developed a serious fixation on the Fotoman 617:o). This is my first post.

I am thinking of printing some Xpan shots larger than I normally do (I generally make 4” x 10 ½” prints on 11” x 14” paper), namely at 8” x 21” on 20” x 24” paper. I’m also thinking that, if I trim the paper lengthwise, I could make two prints per sheet. My question is: do I run the risk of any discoloration on the trimmed edge of the paper? For the record I’ll be using Oriental VC FB Glossy paper and have access to a rotary trimmer.

Thanks in advance.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have never trimmed paper that size but I regularly cut 8x10 into two 5 x 8s under the safelight and provided it is safe I have never seen any discolouration on the trimmed edge. As the principle is the same I see no reason why your intended cutting should result in discolouration.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Trimming paper/prints will not effect how archival they are. As long as they are processed correctly you wont have any problems with discoloration.

Yours:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can make your job easier if you can locate your paper in 8 inch rolls and simply cut to the desired length. It doesn't have to be fancy or accurate, that can be handled after the print is dry.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    35mm
    I've never heard of discoloration because of trimming prints. I've only been doing my own darkroom processing for about three years, though, so I've not seen any long-term effects on my own prints. The problems I have encountered are trimming precisely (a little too big or small can cause problems in standard-sized frames without borders) and rough edges (caused by dull blades or worn trimmer surfaces). Neither is a big problem, IMHO.

One trick I use to help trim (relatively) precisely in dim darkroom light, or with color paper, is to lay down some painter's tape on my trimmer at the locations where I typically cut. That way I can position the paper by feel without squinting at the numbers, which of course are printed in low-contrast lettering on my trimmer.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks, everyone, for your speedy replies.

I was in fact inquiring about possible discoloration from the chemicals, not from the light, though it seems that there’s nothing to worry about on that account. Also, though I like the roll solution, unfortunately that’s not an option with the paper I’m using. I’ll pick up some of the 20” x 24” paper and give it a try.

GMB

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Welcome to the forum, glad you found us.
    All paper is trimmed, at the factory.
    Something I often do, albeit on smaller sheets, is to print two images on one sheet, one on each half by spinning the sheet through 180 degrees after the first exposure and masking. The processing time is reduced as well. Only works if you are doing multiple copies of the same photograph of course.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller View Post
    Something I often do, albeit on smaller sheets, is to print two images on one sheet, one on each half by spinning the sheet through 180 degrees after the first exposure and masking. The processing time is reduced as well. Only works if you are doing multiple copies of the same photograph of course.
    I often do that as well when printing smaller than 8x10 on 8x10 paper. In fact, I think this is the only way to get odd sizes when processing with a drum, since drums are designed to handle only a limited number of print sizes.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller View Post
    Something I often do, albeit on smaller sheets, is to print two images on one sheet, one on each half by spinning the sheet through 180 degrees after the first exposure and masking.
    Also a very good idea, though it might be difficult with larger sizes of paper.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have seen some discoloration on edges that re cut before exposing and processing, especially when toned, though can't explain why. Yes all paper is cut at the factory, and maybe my trimmer's blade was dull and therefore made some rougher cuts that allowed it to happen. Haven't seen it a lot, but enough over the years to remember. I have also noticed excessive swelling sometimes on those cut edges, and it dries with a little rougher that normal. To avoid this I cut when dry.

Your results may vary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin