Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,701   Posts: 1,482,641   Online: 712

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just been reading Lowe's Patents, interesting stuff.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Just been reading Lowe's Patents, interesting stuff.

Ian
    Any info on edwal 20?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I am glad you started thisthread. In my youth E12 was one of my favorite developers, as was Panthermic 777.

E-12 may be my answer for the contrast needed to produce albumen prints in ULF.

I used 777 exclusively while in pharmacy school. I had to give my roo mate money for the movies so I could darken the room and develop and print. 777 was the easiest for me to keeep and use since I had absolutely no temperature control.

Think I'll mix up some 12 and give it a try with Efke 100.

Jim
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell View Post
    Paul

Are you using the standard formula ?

Edwal 12
    Water, distilled 900ml
    Metol 6 grams
    Sulfite 90 grams
    PPD 10 grams
    Glycin 5 grams
    Water, to make 1 liter
    Checking my ancient memory bank.

Is PPD Potassium phosphate dibasic?

Thanks,
    Jim
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Howell View Post
    Any info on edwal 20?
    Maybe, it's difficult to say.

The developers are all listed as Example 1, 2, 3 etc I recognise one or two but I need to stick them in my database then I can easily cross reference them.

I've done the same with all the Ilford developers mentioned in Patents and they are extremely intersting.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PPD is Paraphenyldiamine, a developing agent it's the free base, you can probably use CD-2 instead. Look at Crawley's FX-9 and FX-10.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would be interested in knowing the difference between Edwal 12 and Harvey's 777 if anyone has that information. I have already read everything on the internet about it so there is no need to provide links. I am looking for personal information.

Thanks

Patrick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickjames View Post
    I would be interested in knowing the difference between Edwal 12 and Harvey's 777 if anyone has that information. I have already read everything on the internet about it so there is no need to provide links. I am looking for personal information.

Thanks

Patrick
    I tired 777 from the Frugal Photo along with Edwal 12, 777 is compensating and not as sharp as Edwal 12, softer working. I use Edwal 12 as the desert is actually low contrast, bright, but low contrast due to the amount of reflected light. In other setting I would use 777. I liked 777 with HP5. I saw that PF is now selling 777, I dont know if it is their own formula or if it is the same that the Frugal Photo is selling which I think is old stock from Blue Grass packaging.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickjames View Post

Thanks

Patrick
    There is no connection between Edwal 12 and 777 !

The 'connection' was the result of well intentioned, yet uninformed, speculation over the internet, of what might be in it.

This is part of what I wrote to Ed Buffaloe:

"First, there seemed to be no glycin in BPI's 777.*

Second, there was* a much higher volume of 'stuff' to make a gallon of 777 than was needed to make Germain's. A liter’s worth of dry 777 weighs about 155 grams. A liter of Germain’s weighs 91 grams. Sixty grams of fairy dust ? Maybe.

It looked different, it smelled different, and most importantly, it behaves completely differently."

777 is closer to D-76 than Edwal 12 in how it looks, and how it behaves. It differs from D76 in one important way, it gives one stop slower shadow speed. Harvey acknowledged this in his writing in the '30s and '40s. It is not as sharp, not as fine grained, as Edwal 12.

One characteristic of 777 that is important for use in the 21st century is that it makes an absolutely wonderful curve... at a much higher CI than we are used to using. It was not an oversight, Harvey intended it to give a higher contrast, to suit the aesthetics and materials of the day. It makes a very nice developer if you let it be itself, and not expect XTOL, or D76.

Eventually I'll get around to scanning some of the primary sources I have, and post them here.
    Last edited by df cardwell; 05-21-2008 at 07:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell View Post
    THERE IS NO CONNECTION BETWEEN THE TWO !

forgive me for shouting - EVERYTHING is different -

the 'connection' was the result of well intentioned, yet uninformed, speculation over the internet, of what might be in it.
    I agree that both are really differnt, I have seen 777 formulas, but know if they are accurate. What is the differance?

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin