Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,914   Posts: 1,556,277   Online: 810

Page 1 of 13 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

SURVEY: Edwal 12 Users' Experience

Here is an invitation to folks who have had success using Edwal 12 to share their experience here.

Itís a developer I was introduced to by an old timer when I was a very young photographer. For 40 years, Iíve used it as a limited, but special, tool in the darkroom.

But. There is a fog of hearsay, recycled gossip, and magical thinking that discourages photographers who might benefit from it's use to avoid it.

So, please post with tales of your success with Edwal 12, your technique, its limitations, and how you modify the basic formula.

WHAT isnít really necessary is to quote recycled legend about the stuff. If you havenít used it, give us a chance.

Gracias.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    DF,
    Why don't you go first? I've never used it, but am interested in knowing why I might want to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had rotten luck with it. In fact, I had rotten luck with three devs I made with PPD; Edwal 12, one of the Sease formulas and 777. I kept getting burned-out highlights no matter how little I agitated or how much I cut back on the time. Eventually, I gave up on PPD. Some folks swear by the stuff, but I couldn't seem to get it to work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PPD developers went out of fashion as emulsions changed, and more stable formulae appeared for commercial use based on PPD & Meritol (Meto/Pyrocatechin) instead of Glycin, or like Crawley's FX-10 and Calbe's A49 (Atomal replacement) use Hydroquinone and CD2 or similar colour developing agent.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard View Post
    I had rotten luck with it... I kept getting burned-out highlights no matter how little I agitated or how much I cut back on the time. ... but I couldn't seem to get it to work.
    Thanks Jim.

Dr. Lowe wrote a good deal about his work,
    much like Crawley, and gave some context for their application.

Edwal 12 was compounded for the Midwest, Lowe was from Chicago. Shooting on overcast days is STILL a reality near the Great Lakes.

In the '30s and '40s, it was common to work to a much higher CI than we would ever consider.

Lowe specified a range of glycin that would work in the developer, in case you wanted to raise or lower the highlights. The standard formulation is 5 grams, and I believe that is how Photographers Formulary prepares it.

Lowe said you could go up to 10 grams, and as low as 2.

I use 2.5 grams, and with TMY, I get an S shaped curve with these values:

Zone II: 0.1 --- Zone V: 0.6 - 0.7 ---- Zone VII: 1.1 - 1.20

The look is very much like TXP, and I use it to shoot portraits in flat lighting. It seems to function like D76, whose normal times are a good place to begin with E12. As I use it, it seems that it IS D76, but whose highlights land at a greater density.

Much 'wisdom' has been lost over the several decades. Lowe explained the function of PPD was NOT to develop the image, but to 'energize' the metol and glycin to function normally, but at a much lower pH.

The way the film granularity is rendered isn't my big concern, but -to me- it is very acute, and much finer. It is NOT a solvent developer, and not at all like Microdol X.

E-12 is my N+1 developer. Mid-tone placement remains normal, and I can expose as if I were using my normal developer. The hint I would offer for using E-12 would be to use Zone V and Zone VII to determine your exposure and development time.

Dr. Sease's developers provided Lowe the foundation for his work on E10, 12, and 20.

As for 777, that is another story. I have a stack of writing by Harvey,
    and will share it... later. The suggestion for using Harvey's 777, though, based on HIS intention, and my own experience, is to reduce the EI by half of what it would be for you in D76. And develop to a higher CI than you find normal: print on a softer paper. The aesthetics of the '30s were differnt than today !

Time for some coffee.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use Edwal 12 as my basic 35mm developer for several years. As noted by others Edwal is high contrast, PF describes it as brilliant. I find that I do need to season fresh Edwal 12 with a couple of rolls, I keep a 1/2 gallon on hand, 32 oz working and 32 oz for replenser, I discard and replace 100mm for each roll of 35mm. I kept my last tank going for 2 years, but then did not shoot any 35mm for a while and after sitting for 7 or 8 months I had to start with a fresh batch. I shoot in the Desert Southwest, although the desert is very bright in the summer it is also low contrast due to reflected light, which works well with Edwal 12. I expose for the high lights and let the developer hold the shadow details. Edwal 12 has tight grain and is very sharp. TMax 400, HP 5 and Forma Pan 400 all seem to work well, TMax 100 not so well, and I dont like Tmax or Delta 3200 at all. I agree that Edwal 12 is not a general propose developer and is not one that I would use if I did live in the desert.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Paul

Are you using the standard formula ?

Edwal 12
    Water, distilled 900ml
    Metol 6 grams
    Sulfite 90 grams
    PPD 10 grams
    Glycin 5 grams
    Water, to make 1 liter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell View Post
    Paul

Edwal 12
    Water, distilled 900ml
    Metol 6 grams
    Sulfite 90 grams
    PPD 10 grams
    Glycin 5 grams
    Water, to make 1 liter
    I get mine from PF and it seems to be the standard formula.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell View Post
    Paul

Edwal 12
    Water, distilled 900ml
    Metol 6 grams
    Sulfite 90 grams
    PPD 10 grams
    Glycin 5 grams
    Water, to make 1 liter
    I wonder what this dev would be if we left the PPD out of it??? Could be interesting.

BTW DF, glad to see you're visiting APUG again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard View Post
    I wonder what this dev would be if we left the PPD out of it??? Could be interesting.

BTW DF, glad to see you're visiting APUG again.

Thanks, Jim... Glad to be back to the stinky old darkroom !

Dr. Lowe formulated Edwal 10 as a mid '30s variation on D-76,
    suggesting that he approached E-12 as a D-76 variation as well.

Edwal 10

Water 900ml
    Metol 5 grams
    Sulphite 100 grams
    Glycin 5 grams
    Borax 10 grams
    Water to make 1 liter

Since many of us, myself included, use D-76 to maximize shadow detail while holding the highlights, Edwal 10 might be a good N+1 developer.

The grain structure is very much like D-76 if you use a dilution of 1+5 ~ 1+7. Where D-76 might let brights run to gray, E10 will keep them perking along, like Rodinal.

The biggest difference between 10 and 12 ? Finer grain with 12. If you don't want to mess with PPD, and know D76 pretty well, E10 is worth a try.

Page 1 of 13 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin