Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,911   Posts: 1,556,247   Online: 1048

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Peak only print on colour paper as far as I can tell from their website. There's a lot of ads in the back of B&W Photography magazine for people offering dev&printing on real black&white paper.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone!! I feel a little better now - I thought I was just rubbish!

I thought Peak Imaging were 'top notch' - they come highly recommended on most forums including this one - which is why I assumed they had not done anything wrong. My colour prints that came back looked great. I can't beleive that a lab like that would use colour paper for B & W though! Additionally, I thought B & W was 'kinda easy' to develop by anyone who knows what they're doing - i.e. a photo lab.

Akki - your reply is insightful. I did not know that. I will try out a proper B & W developers perhaps

I wonder - would anyone here who's from the UK and who knows their stuff about B & W be good enough to allow me to send the prints and negatives to them so that they can look at them and give me their opinion? I don't mean their opinion of the art, but their opinion of the prints quality and whether I have done anything wrong? I'm not sure that by scanning a few prints in that it would show up properly.
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ted_smith View Post
    I can't beleive that a lab like that would use colour paper for B & W though!
    Ted, thats pretty common practice. My local lab print black and white on colour paper unless you specify otherwise; and they charge twice as much if you do.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    B&W is a pain to develop because there's so many variables involved, tweaking the time here and there to get the perfect negative for the perfect print according to the person developing the negatives and printing from them. C-41 (colour negative) is easier. There is a set ISO standard of developing all the colour negative film in the world so most screw ups there are on the user(though you can still have awful prints from a bad printer). The massive dev chart gives you a mindboggling clue as to how many different combinations you can have for B&W film developing and that's not even the printing side of things!
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ilford offer a printing service using their pre-paid mailers, see for details: http://www.ilfordphoto.com/wheretobuy/page.asp?n=145

Worth checking out I think.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Although they get a lot of stick I found Jessops BW printing was pretty good last time I used them (2 years ago when I returned to analogue). Maybe they could reprint one of your negs.
    If you can get access to a scanner then scan a neg and post it here - you know how helpful this place is :-)
    Hmm- Wonder if she'd notice if I bought that :)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ilford has a B & W processing service for 35mm (with 120 coming soon!). They indicate that they will "any standard process 35mm black and white film".

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/wheretobuy/page.asp?n=145

I understand from posts here that they have happy customers .

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Matt - that looks like just the ticket. I've also made an enquiry to www.the-darkroom.co.uk. In the meantime, Bob F has kindly agreed to look at my pictures for me.

Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Ilford has a B & W processing service for 35mm (with 120 coming soon!). They indicate that they will "any standard process 35mm black and white film".

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/wheretobuy/page.asp?n=145

I understand from posts here that they have happy customers .

Matt
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin