Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,957   Online: 1110

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Help! Film Development failure.

I am just getting back in to wet darkroom work.I did my first test roll of black and white. i used a camera with a shutter and meter I know to be working. I loaded film in a S.S. tank ( ilford Delta 100) I used Ilfords table for using D76 and when viewed after fixing I had nothing but film base left.
    The chart made it look as if using D75 at stock solution at68 F was an option 9.5 min as I recall ,was this my goof up should I have done it at 1:1?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not to be insulting, but are you sure you didn't get the developer and fix mixed up? I've done that before and wound up with clear base.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    anythig is possible I am not isulted at all. Dumb mistakes are easy to do (for Me anyway) But if that is what I did it is mislabeled in the gallon jugs I mixed and am not sure I remember the difference by smell or appearance. is there an easy test or do I need to re mix?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You can tell the difference by smell. Fixer tends to be more obnoxious.

Images
    You could pour some of the "fixer" into a vessel and drop in a snipped piece of unprocessed film. If it is fixer, it will clear the film in about 25 seconds or so.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you have a piece of undeveloped leader, measure out some of one jug or the other, and put the leader in for a few minutes. If it gets black, its developer, otherwise if it gets cleared it's fixer. Aside from this test, and smell, you can rub some between your fingers, developer will feel slick, almost soapy, typical acid fix will not, it will feel more like water.
    On the roll you developed, are there any edge markings and frame numbers visible?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    No, nothing remains on the film at al so I suspect kino is correct and I have the fixer in the wrong bottle I will be doing the film leader test tonight.
    Thanks to all for the input and any others to come.
    I love APUG for how quickly and sincerely you can get constructive help.

Shooter
    Medium Format

update

I did the undeveloped film test and based on the results I have fixer in the fixer jug and developer in the developer jug. I guess it is not impossible that I poured them in to the daylight tank in the wrong order but i think it unlikely. is there a nother therory or possibility as to what went wrong? film and chemistry was fresh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When you did the test, did you both - i.e. test with the fix, and test another piece of film with the developer? In the developer test, did the film turn black? If so, your developer is active.

Did you use a water rinse ("presoak)") before developer? If so, is there any chance that you went from presoak directly to stop/water rinse then to fixer without actually putting the developer into the tank?

As unlikely as that may sound....

Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I did the test with fixer and with developer,I did not pre soak. With regards to the test: all I did was to put an unexposed piece of film in 1) fixer and 2) developer . The film I put in the developer was almost unchaged , the film I put in Fixer dissolved to clear film base in a mater of minutes. I am ready, at this point to assume I placed the chemicals in to the tank in the incorect sequence as no othe explanation makes any sense.
    I banged off one more test roll this evening : different camera ,different film stock and I will try agin soon to develop.I will let everyone know the outcome. Thanks to all for the help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin