Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,407   Online: 1121

Shooter
    35mm

Toning RC Paper...Creative!

Hello All,
    I've actually just been told about the group, and have been shuffling through pages and pages of posts.

I'm a high school photography teacher (2nd year) who has a BFA in Photography. I have always toned fiber based papers whether it be for creativity/mood with sepia, or for archival purposes with selenium.

My students in Photo II will start toning in about a week on RC papers, I've got the good old Berg copper and Berg sepia toner but want to add something to the project. Will kool aide tone/color RC paper? I did it awhile back on fiber for fun.

Any other suggestions on things to tone/color that would be unique for my students and cost/safety efficient?

Thanks!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    g'day Mr

prints can be stained, as opposed to toned, with very strong tea or coffee

just lose the milk, cream and sugar

Ray

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Ray...

So far I've got:
    Tea Bags
    Berg Copper
    Berg Sepia

Can we add some more for the toning/staining of RC paper?

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Black walnuts. Boil them in a cheesecloth sack and save the water. You now have water with plenty of tannin. Google around for "toning" of cyanotypes. Lots of formulas.

Red wine will also stain papers. As will coffee, cheap instant coffee works pretty well.

Not sure how well you can get RC paper to stain as the whole idea behind RC paper is to MINIMIZE water infiltration into the paper fibers. I'm sure you can get a stain, just not as deeply or fully as fiber might.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things! http://rwyoung.wordpress.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Agfa Viradon is an archival one bath brown toner that gives protection as well as toning.

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_pro...d=306&pid=6222

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin