Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,579   Posts: 1,545,748   Online: 939

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: DiXactol

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Anybody have experience with this developer? How does it compare to other two bath developers? Any info on the subject is greatly appreciated!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I think the creator of DiXactol has come out with a new one called Exactol. Supposedly an improvement.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

I use Dixactol Ultra for 90% of all my Monochrome work, films used are Ilford Delta 100 & 400,HP5+ and FP4+ and am very happy with the results.
    I have also just tried first two rolls of Fuji Acros 100 and I think this may be the best.
    Dixactol data can be obtained from Barry Thorntons web site

http://www.barry-thornton.co.uk

hope this info is of use to you

>I think the creator of DiXactol has come out with a new one called Exactol. >Supposedly an improvement.

Yes, you can read all about it's evolution in this month's Photo Techniques magazine.
    The new generation of his formulas (Exactol and Lux, and DiXactol-ultra) now contain Phenidone along with Pyrocatchenol/Glycin.
    Grain- it's a three dimensional problem.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Didn't the DiXactol give all the analog stuff up and start to spout D******? He seems like a snake oil salesman

lee\c

Shooter
    Large Format
    Kinda like a ship afloat...whichever way the wind blows...Nothing like a few "greenbacks" to alter the direction.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

>Didn't the DiXactol give all the analog stuff up and start to spout >D******? He seems like a snake oil salesman

Yes and No.

He has given up darkroom printing for D******* output. He does still start from an analog negative, but goes astray from there- at least according to his most recent postings and intro on his web site. Although, I wouldn't be suprised that he doesn't morph again in the near future. That's not to say I've heard anything bad about his line of developers- except they can only be bought direct from him (except DiXactol).

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I thought that Les posted once that he tried the developer and it was a diaster. Could be wrong.

lee\c

I tried DiXactol in a very preliminary way, but gave up when my first couple of tries showed streaking. Now I'm using Pyrocat HD, another Pyrocat-based developer, which hasn't given me the same problem and, unlike DiXactol, is recommended for rotary processing, which I prefer.
    Chris Patti

This brings up an interesting thought ( at least to me). If you take Pyrocat-HD (which has Pyrocatchenol+Phenidone) and were to add Glycin- you could end up with Exactol/ DiXactol Ultra (which have [according to Barry's article]Pyrocatchenol+Glycin+Phenidone). Curiouser and curiouser. }:^)>

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin