Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,997   Posts: 1,524,295   Online: 845

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you are just scanning, I think you are missing a very rewarding and satisfying aspect of analogue photography.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by thebdt View Post
    Also, is it just me, or does Shutterbug wait months and months and months before reviewing a new film? I got my first issue via subscription from them when they wrote their first review of the new Velvia 50; as I recall the new Velvia had been out for almost six months already.
    The submission of an article and the actual publishing of it can be distant from each other even by much longer than that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Shutterbug has articles?!

Feature articles can be scheduled 6 months in advance, but most mag's will allow for much more timely insertions, but generally not less than a month. This is why magazines are often given preproduction or early production samples so the articles can be published in line with the launch. The reason for the long delay says more about priorities at shutterbug then it does publishing schedules. I don't read that mag, but I'd guess that the latest DSLR reviews neatly corresponded with the launch of the product and the large media buys by the manufacturer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "I still just don't get it's. It's really blotchy in D76"

You should be getting perfect, and optimum negs from D76.

How are you processing it, and what exactly are your results ?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jd callow View Post
    Shutterbug has articles?!

Feature articles can be scheduled 6 months in advance, but most mag's will allow for much more timely insertions, but generally not less than a month. This is why magazines are often given preproduction or early production samples so the articles can be published in line with the launch. The reason for the long delay says more about priorities at shutterbug then it does publishing schedules. I don't read that mag, but I'd guess that the latest DSLR reviews neatly corresponded with the launch of the product and the large media buys by the manufacturer.
    You don't read that magazine but you "know" about it's priorities and its publishing schedules? Wow!
    Well, what I said I know from my own publishing experience with Shutterbug.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    "I still just don't get it's. It's really blotchy in D76;"
    Please explain what you mean by "blotchy". Undeveloped portions of the neg? Not cleared properly?
    I've never been a TMAX fan, but I never got blotches in D-76, or any other developer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just picked up some of the new t max 400 and will be testing it, once I finish processing my current load of film. It's great that Kodak is still invested in film despite many of their own words. I hope they pass this improvement onto Tmax 100. The type of developer, agitation and other factors greatly affect the qualities of a film. So unless the tester used the same methods and materials as you use, you are always best off testing a film for yourself and not relying on ANY review as the final word.

Magazines usually work well in advance and while they may keep a certain number of pages available for breaking news they sometimes fill that allotment and end up pushing less time critical articles to later publication dates. I was requested by Shutterbug last November to write an article, which I did. The article was originally requested for publication in April, then I was told May or June, now it's October. What can you do? Film or wet darkroom related articles are not what most photo readers are interested in today, so if a hot digital story comes up the film article is going to get bumped.

As for Roger, I feel that he was an excellent contributor and his absence is a loss to APUG. If Sean received a bunch of complaints then Sean is put in the unenviable position of having to ask someone valuable to change their behavior. The problem is that while a small group may have been complaining about a certain behavior (their real issue was most likely NOT about the self promotion) the majority may not have felt that way, however the squeaky wheel gets the grease and it's good bye Roger. Personally if someone is providing me with valuable information or experience I am not bothered by a commercial for their product. Sometimes promoting a useful product is a service to the larger community. How many workshops and exhibitions are promoted here? Many, and that is good for the community.
    Last edited by Early Riser; 05-11-2008 at 02:39 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Good word, Riser! First - Shutterbug plans articles well in advance. What happened to you is, in my experience, normal. Second - very surely, Apug is the biggest looser in such cases. The excuse of "complains" is a very easy one (members cannot see the complains) and a complain doesn't mean there is a real reason to act in this way. But whatever the police says, the looser is clearly the one that needs this type of police.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfart View Post
    Good word, Riser! First - Shutterbug plans articles well in advance. What happened to you is, in my experience, normal. Second - very surely, Apug is the biggest looser in such cases. The excuse of "complains" is a very easy one (members cannot see the complains) and a complain doesn't mean there is a real reason to act in this way. But whatever the police says, the looser is clearly the one that needs this type of police.
    I don't know that being loose or looser is such a bad thing nor do I understand how it applies here. Should you wish to read Roger online please feel free to go over to the rangefinder forum where he is waiting to enrich your life. Meanwhile, Roger left on his own when he discovered he would not be allowed to advertise for free. That's the rule; the complaints were symptomatic of the rule's virtue, not the reason for the rule's enforcement. We generally allow members in good standing the occasional advertising post, we have a forum exclusively for workshops that anyone can post to as often as they like, but we do not allow people to continually pimp their product. It isn't fair to all the fine folks and companies that pay the bills around here and its spam -- which the vast majority of APUGers dislike with a passion.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thebdt View Post
    The new 400 film was the first time I've ever shot 400 by Kodak; I'm new to B&W so I have no idea how this film used to behave.

I still just don't get it's. It's really blotchy in D76; I almost feel as though I ruined a shoot/session of street photography by relying on this film (then again, I was out testing it, ostensibly). The new Kodak 400 is still not as flexible as anything from Fuji, and it's not quite as romantic as an Efke (or Kodak's own 125 PX, which is also blotchy but in more artistically pleasing ways). A salesman at a local photography store (Nelson's in San Diego) told me that the Kodak film is more suited for enlarging, not scanning (all I ever do is scan).

In short, I just don't get it. Am I missing something? Is the new 400 totally awesome in Rodinal or Pyro or something? Or are there others who feel the same way I do, that TMY2 is insufferably blotchy and makes for a muddled visual statement? I realize there might be those who prefer/choose this film; I'm just wondering if I'm not the only person who feels as though the film's quirks work against them, rather than with them.
    I don't know anything about your processing technqiue. However, I have developed a lot of film in T-MAX 400 and scan much more often than I print in the darkroom. It is a superb film, in my opinion, both for printing in the darkroom, and for scanning. Maybe especially for scaning since it has such a long straight line curve that requires very little manipulation in the processing an image file.

Frankly I have no idea what you mean by the term "blotchy", as I have never seen this term applied to film. I also don't have a clue what you mean by the term "romantic" as it applies to film.

Some people have complained about T-MAX films because they don't have as much latitude as traditional emulsion films, and that is a legitimate complaint in my opinion because the long straight line does not give a lot of latitude in exposure and development so one must be extra careful with their technique in using this film. And some people have complained about the nature of the tonal values that result from the fact that the T-MAX films have more sensitivity to red light than most traditional films. That complaint I can also understand, though I don't find it true for my work.

However, I just never think of films in terms of their romantic qualities.

Sandy King

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin