Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,764   Posts: 1,516,275   Online: 1152

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shutterbug Mag Review: Kodak’s Revised T-Max 400; A “Classic” Gets A Facelift

Here's a review of Kodak's new T-Max by Roger Hicks and Frances Shultz in Shutterbug Magazine: http://www.shutterbug.net/equipmentr...ear/0508kodak/

Some key statements from the article:

- In a nutshell, it (TMAX) seems to do all that Kodak claims, and more. It is both sharper and finer grained, as claimed, and in our tests, it delivered better tonality; was easier to print; and was less critical in both exposure and development.

- Both T-grain and Delta have greatly improved since those early days, but directly comparing TMY2 with TMY revealed yet another small but significant improvement in tolerance...Only you can decide your priorities, but what astonished us was that in some cases, Roger actually preferred the tonality of the new TMY shots to Tri-X—something that has never happened with any previous T-Max film.

- If you have been using the earlier generation of T-Max, there seems to be absolutely no drawbacks to the new film, as compared with the older version. As we said earlier, it seems to do everything that Kodak claims, and more. This is, quite simply, a better film than the old T-Max 400.

- Do not dismiss Kodak. That last sentence is sufficiently important that it is worth repeating. Do not dismiss Kodak. They have certainly been known to send mixed messages about their commitment to film: messages that sometimes seem to suggest they have no interest whatsoever. Then they come up with something like TMY2.
    Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for that. Pity that Roger no longer participates here.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    Thanks for that. Pity that Roger no longer participates here.

pentaxuser
    Roger told me that he was driven out because people complained to the moderators that there were too many references [mostly by others, not Roger] to his website. The moderators then leaned on him. In the end, the complainers have done the rest of us a great disservice.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Roger told me that he was driven out because people complained to the moderators that there were too many references [mostly by others, not Roger] to his website. The moderators then leaned on him. In the end, the complainers have done the rest of us a great disservice.

Steve
    It doesn't surprise me. I know about other people who left for the same reason - the lobby acts in a self-destroying manner. In the long term it is just Apug the biggest looser.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I believe the reasons for Rogers departure have nothing to do with reference to his website made by him or anyone else.
    Last edited by Sean; 05-13-2008 at 01:42 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: removed a personal jibe
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post

Steve
    Roger was perfectly welcome here but over promoted/marketed his business in the forums. This puts us in a bad position as if he's allowed then others also want to reside here for the same purpose. We have strict policies in place to curb such activity. We simply requested he tone it down a tad at which point he admitted there would be no value in participating here anymore. That was his choice and I don't feel we were unfair or ran anyone off.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfart View Post
    It doesn't surprise me. I know about other people who left for the same reason - the lobby acts in a self-destroying manner. In the long term it is just Apug the biggest looser.
    I love it when people reference others without giving names. It adds so much credibility to their argument! :rolleyes:
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinesh View Post
    I love it when people reference others without giving names. It adds so much credibility to their argument! :rolleyes:
    And for that reason I think Sean was right to set the matter straight. If you leave people free to speculate wildly no telling where the conversation will go.

From another perspective, I have also reviewed the new TMY-2 film (article in View Camera) and compared it to the old film. I did find an improvement, but frankly when I read the review by Roger and Frances I felt that we were comparing two different films. I say that with special note to their comment about the way the two films recorded tonal values. My tests, curves and prints showed almost no difference at all in terms of the rendition of tonal values.

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    I say that with special note to their comment about the way the two films recorded tonal values. My tests, curves and prints showed almost no difference at all in terms of the rendition of tonal values.

Sandy
    This is what i heard from others who shoot the film, but don't live online.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The new film sounds very tempting.
    Where can one buy it in Europe?
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin