Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,500   Posts: 1,571,632   Online: 1156

Shooter
    Multi Format

Metal tank lid stuck

Hi all,

The lid on my Hansa metal development tank is stuck and simply refuses to come off.

I've tried to heat the lid in very hot water, hoping it would expand just that tiny bit that would have it slip off the tank, but had no luck. Cooling the lower part did not help either.

I've also tried wrangling the two parts from each other by brute force. I also tried the opposite - trying to pull them apart with as little force as possible.

Any suggestions what to do?

Thanks!
    Søren

"We are much more likely to act our way into a new way of thinking than think our way into a new way of acting." - R. Pascale

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had to tap the lid off with a knife or scraper against the lower edge of the lid. It takes gentle taps opposite side alternating so it doesn't jam worse.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If there is not currently any film in the can, you might consider a drop or two of penetrating oil around the edge. I had to do this once and then get a strap wrench to apply enough force to twist the thing off. A wipe down with naptha finished the job, but that particular tank also got a swipe with 600 sandpaper and a quick coat of wax after the incident. No problems since then.

If film's in the can, Gary's remedy is all I can see working.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    twisting a coin between the bottom of the lid and the flange of the tank

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi all - thanks for the good advice. Gary's tip did the job. I think I'll give the tank a sanding and a wax coating to avoid this happening again. Luckily, there was no film in the tank this time!
    Søren

"We are much more likely to act our way into a new way of thinking than think our way into a new way of acting." - R. Pascale

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I suggest you keep a kitchen jar opener in the dark room and in easy reach while developing. The type I use is pictured here and has saved my film several times when a tank top refused to budge. http://flickr.com/photos/54724843@N00/2481573507/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might replace the tank with a Kinderman... with a plastic lid !

(The lids only last 15 years of hard use, so get an extra.)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteymorange View Post
    ... then get a strap wrench ...
    I keep a strap wrench in the darkroom as a standard tool. Rarely needed, but when it is ...

PS: Before anybody asks: http://www.mytoolstore.com/klein/s6h.html

Shooter
    Large Format
    I do what DF does but with a church key bottle opener. I've an omega simmons tank, it's excellent. The inside of the lid is pitted but is still functional. It is starting to leak slightly but it's not bad. I just wrap a towel around it and go from there.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin