Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,202   Online: 1188

View Poll Results: How do you get agitated?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Continuous agitation

5 10.64%
  • 5 sec every 30 sec

20 42.55%
  • 10 sec every 60 sec

20 42.55%
  • Stand Development (as little as possible)

2 4.26%
  • Polaroid.

0 0%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sukach
    I set the JOBO Rotation motor to "P". How do I vote for that?
    I agree with Ed. I set my rotation speed on my Jobo and let it do the driving. I use the "F" setting mostly.

George

Shooter
    Multi Format
    having started this, 10 sec every minute on small film, and continuous hand-rolling of the jobo for 4x5.

Sorry to your guys with the processors having P, F, etc, settings, but I've never actually seen one, so didn't think to include it.

I tried tray development of 4x5 for a while, but I gouged a couple of negatives even after practicing for a while, so I moved on to the daylight tank and continuous agitation. I haven't lost any, but do worry about losing acutance due to the continuous agitation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I prefer rotary tube development in a processor. Constant conditions for agitation and temperature deliver 100% reproducible results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

in Rodinal 1:200, three times each 15 minutes :O)

I treat 35mm and 120 rollfilm the same way. Interval and effort depends on the film and developer.

For most film/developer combinations I agitate every 30 seconds, 2-3 inversions with stainless tanks or for 5 seconds using twist agitation with plastic tanks. I normally agitate pretty assertively. This is my usual method with ID-11, Rodinal, Ilfosol-S and HC-110.

With Diafine I use a modification of the manufacturer's recommendation. The maker recommends gentle agitation with both Parts A and B. I suspect that agitation is *not* critical with Part A but is definitely critical with Part B. So I agitate more or less normally with Part A to make sure the emulsion is thoroughly infused. With Part B, tho', I do follow the maker's recommendation and agitate as gently as possible at 1-minute intervals. I've also used Part B with *no* agitation (other than tapping the tank to release bubbles) and gotten good results.

When using Microphen for push processing I agitate only at 1-minute intervals (a few inversions or up to 10 seconds) to emphasize the compensating effect. It works.

I've also experimented with stand development and modified stand development (prolonged intervals between agitations) ranging from 20 minutes to 24 hours, always using Rodinal, usually successfully. In some cases I've blended other developers with Rodinal: Xtol successfully (very fine grain and excellent tonality); Ilfosol-S unsuccessfully (thick fog).
    Three degrees of separation from Kevin Bacon.

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Film Developing Cookbook (one of the few truly essential technique books) has an excellent section on agitation techniques, including stand development.
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Continous agitation with my Jobo CPE2+ at 75rpm - the only setting but it works.

For small tank development I use three inversions every 60 seconds followed by a rap to dislodge any bubbles. I have used this technique forever and still use the same developing tank and reels that I bought back in the 70's, a Jobo 1236 Jet. And the reels work in the developing drums I use CPE2. Hows that for future planning

- Mike

Nice thing about the jobo tanks. They grow with you-))

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Nice thing about the jobo tanks. They grow with you-))
    Ooops that explains my midle age spread

- Mike

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin