Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,934   Posts: 1,585,604   Online: 639

View Poll Results: How do you get agitated?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Continuous agitation

5 10.64%
  • 5 sec every 30 sec

20 42.55%
  • 10 sec every 60 sec

20 42.55%
  • Stand Development (as little as possible)

2 4.26%
  • Polaroid.

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was reviewing the manufacturer's recommendations the other night (first roll of Delta 3200 in 120), and was idly curious about their recommended agitation schedule (5sec every 30 sec), wherease I had picked up 10 sec every minute from somewhere. I presume that this was because I was using DK-50 + HP5, and wanted better edge effects, but the younger me isn't answering today.

What do the other roll-film types here do, and any rationale?

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    oh, I see, for roll film I do 10 seconds every 60. Have for 35 years and experience no problems.

Sheet film is in trays and done continuously

lee\c

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    When I develop roll films, I generally use 3 inversions every minute or so - unless i have a good reason for doing something else. 35mm film I give 2 inversions every 30sec - it's all just habit.

Sheet film in tank gets 2 inversions every 5 minutes with very dilute developer - almost stand development. Or it goes in the tray, which could be anything from continuous to 30minute intervals depending on flim, developer and subject.

So I won't vote :P
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Depends!

PMK likes lots of agitation, so every 15 seconds.

Most films, every 30 seconds, but Delta 400 in Perceptol seems happy with once per minute.

In trays I'll shuffle negs continuously in pyro developers, but others I may cycle every 30 sec., rotating 90 degrees periodically, and shuffling with one more rotation than the number of sheets per cycle, so that the same sheet isn't always on top.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

When I do it by hand it's 10 seconds per minute. Which I thought was the Ilford way. 5sec per 30 seconds I thought was the Kodak way. Some of this is related to how long you develop. If you're at the low end of the time range then I think the 5sec every 30 is going to make more sense then if you're using a dilute developer and looking at 15minutes.

With the motorbase I've no idea how fast it goes.

Images
    Start with 30 sec continuous and a good rap on the tank to dislodge the bubbles. Then it was two inversions (5sec) every 30 sec. Now with PMK it is 1 inversion every 15 sec. After inversion I clock the tank 90 degrees before the next inversion.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Large Format
    I haven't developed roll film in years. On my 4X5 film, I continuously interleave--bottom to top. On 8X10 and 12X20 film, I brush develop and this is a fairly continuous process as well.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don (?)

Could you eplain the technique of brush development and its benefits for 8x10? 12x20 would probably give you no other options, but I'm curious how brush development helps with 8x10. Do you develop by inspection with brush development?

Shooter
    35mm
    Usually 5 complete tank inversions every minute.
    If I'm looking for some compensation, I spread the inversions to each 2 min.
    Haven't tried stand development yet...

Shooter
    35mm
    Slightly OT - re brush development (if I understood right)
    I used to develop large prints using paint rollers...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin