Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,332   Posts: 1,537,379   Online: 1074

Shooter
    Pinhole

Arista APH vs. APHS

Is there anyone here who has/had used both Arista/Freestyle APH and APHS filsm and can comment on how they differ?

Thanks

Murray
    Murray

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray@uptowngallery View Post
    Is there anyone here who has/had used both
    Arista/Freestyle APH and APHS filsm and can
    comment on how they differ? Thanks Murray
    Arista Process Half-tone and for some time now
    the Supreme version. Likely very similar. Who
    knows the source? An Email or phone call to
    Freestyle will tell. Dan

Shooter
    Pinhole
    I didn't need to know specifically who made them, but that would be nice to know.

I was more interested in what's the difference between economy and premium because I got some Kodak Polychrome (repackaged) economy and premium camera film. I looked at the characteristic curves, and there is a slight difference, but the way we use such films is so different from the intended usage, I was interested in how, if at all, they have to be exposed or processed differently to get continuous tone. Some people develop by inspection, so that kind of kills any 'formula' for consistency (X minutes, Y temp).

Thanks

Murray
    Murray

Shooter
    Medium Format
    For $10.99 25 sheets of 4x5 at Freestyle.
    I may pick up a pack and play with it. An
    article at unblinkingeye details it's use for
    direct negatives. Contact prints from
    enlarged negatives in one step. Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Drop an e-mail to Freestyle, or better yet call them, and I am sure they will get back to you with the answer.

They might tell you when you call that whatever comes in the boxes is simply relabeled such-and-such from some other manufacturer. It may be that the Supreme comes from a constant source, or maybe was actually commissioned by Freestyle, like some of the higher end Arista products; and perhaps the plain-ol' APH periodically changes in source, like with most lower-end Arista products such as EDU. That is just one guess, though. I have no evidence to support it.

At any rate, I have used both of them to make enlarged contact negs and cannot recall the difference, if any.

Also, that quote of $10.99 for 25 sheets of 4x5 sounds off from what I remember. About two months ago I bought a box of 50 APHS 4x5 off the shelf for $12.99.

One way to save money, if going first to interpos. and then back to neg., is to make the interpos. on 4x5, and then project that in an enlarger to get your enlarged negative, instead of via contact with an enlarged interpos. You use half as much of the big film that way.

Now that I look, I can't even find any APH on their Website. It's all APHS.

For continuous tone, I use *one-shot* highly diluted Ilford HC (start at 1:64, which is my normal camera film dilution, and change dilution and developing time to achieve the desired contrast). I have also experimented with the LC-1 formula which I got from pg. 45-47 of the Christopher James book. It offers great control for more precise applications, but is a little more complex to make and use. To make it, you need: metol, hydroquinone, sodium sulfite, sodium disulfite (usually sold as the older name sodium *BI*sulfite at most photographic chemical suppliers), and, of course, distilled water.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 05-12-2008 at 09:37 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Pinhole
    OK, I DID ask FS. He said there are only two sources of graphic arts halftone film worldwide now.

The old APH was made in China. The APHS is made in Japan. The CSR FSR concurred I could probably guess who the Japanese supplier is.

I don't know if the APH supplier was a Kodak affiliate or not.

So, anyway, I will have to do my own thang to get anything consistent I believe.
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why not shoot 1 sheet under controlled conditions (include a grey card/step wedge), develop it by inspection and record the development time for future use?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin