Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,948   Posts: 1,557,877   Online: 858

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    dektol as a film developer can give quite "normal" results too
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/3...tml#post356022

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi,

if you're lith printing, just make sure to overexpose the print by a LOT in the enlarger for a very early snatch point. I've attached a print I made the other day. It's from a 4x5 negative, Tri-X in Pyrocat-HD developer. When I make a regular 11x14 print from this, I can't see grain at all. The lith print is different as you can see. This is from an 8x10 print and it's very grainy.
    May I suggest Fotokemika Varycon for grainy results when lith printing? It is a beautiful paper in lith. I used Forte Polygrade for this print, but it's no longer made.

Basically, as long as you get your printing done right with respect to grain, it doesn't matter much how grainy your negative is - as far as lith printing is concerned.

Hope this helps.

- Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by carmenloofah View Post
    thanks, I'm hoping the lith developer and the overexposure will give me the texture and charcoal like grain I'm after....I may stick with Fuji 1600 and push it much further. I see your photo as quite fine grain, I'm taking charcoal like grains!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Erin Lith Polygrade 01.jpg  
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    thank you Thomas, I like the effect very much but I will be using Foma Fomatone paper and may try some tinting too.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Yeah, push till you can't push any more. I've seen Tri-X pushed to 6400 that looks like the pepper fog you get during a long batch of lith printing. Go for it, experiment. Break the rules.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Neopan 1600 and rodinal 1+50 or stronger and rate the film at 640.

AND print using a condenser enlarger (not diffusion) or even better a point source if you have access to one.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you are using Fomatone, I don't think you really need to worry how much grain the negative has. Even with a low grain negative, Fomatone has huge grain....I don't think the negative would have much effect. I'd try what you have.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    You want to find some cold stored Kodak 2475 Recording Film. Develop in HC-110 Dil B. Grain the size of golf balls. And remember, you want some that's been cold stored. It will be many years out of date by now...

Shooter
    35mm
    thank you everyone I am saving all these experiments you suggest to try out after I have submitted my project.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin