Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,940   Posts: 1,585,689   Online: 1015

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Material to make a plastic storage bottle

I need to make a custom size bottle to store developer (modified Ansco 17M). I am going to make it out of several components, made of white PVC and black ABS plastic. I will be joining the components with the approved cement for this type of application. I have previously made, and use, processing tanks made of white PVC, and they work just fine.

Has anybody ever done this? Are there any potential problems with using ABS for storage? PVC should be okay, as I have never had any problems with this material, and most modern processing equipment has gray PVC tanks and fluid lines.

Any input on this subject would be welcome.

Shooter
    35mm
    If you are talking about a "barrier" bottle they are available. What is the custom size you need?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    WHY ?

Just find one or two bottles of the right capacity. I'm saying that as someone who manufactured machinery from PVC and ABS.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmm are you trying to make your own homemade processor or something? Need custom bottles to work with a chemical pump? Or just like to make things?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Depending on what you like. Wander around the grocery store or the LCBO. Look for a bottle the right size. At worse you dump what's in the bottle. At best you drink it -)

If that's too much. Get a larger bottle and fill the bottom with something to displace the excess.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks, but I've been those routes.

I want a bottle of approximately 2.75-litres capacity. My home made processing tanks will hold eight rolls of 35mm film, or five rolls of 120 film, which both require about 2.6-litres of solution. I want the bottle to be full to the brim.

I have tried adding marbles to a 4-litre jug of D-23, and it's a real drag when the bottom of the bottle slowly accumulates a sulfite sludge. The marbles rattle when I invert the bottle to mix the replenisher, and they are heavy. It takes almost 100 marbles to displace 1-litre, anyway. And, I only have one glass bottle; plastic bottles will flex too much, and they get much, much too heavy with those 100 marbles.

Using two or more bottles is a non-starter, as one must constantly mix them in a bigger container before and after use. Spillage becomes a problem.

Why don't I just mix 4-litres? Because I am trying to keep the volume down to the minimum to cover the reels of film. I mix my replenisher one or one-half litre at a time. When I have added a volume of replenisher equal to the volume of developer, I use it to capacity, then sewer it.

I have had a bottle of D-23 on the go for almost three years, and it still works just fine. I have about 500-mL of replenisher to go before I mix another litre. When that's gone, it will be the end of the line for that developer.

So, rather than trying to correct what is perceived as the error of my ways, would anybody have any real information (a.k.a. facts) about my question? I have been photographing for almost 40 years, and have probably made any mistake that can be made, at least three times.

Shooter
    35mm
    2.75 liters is nearly 3 quarts (2.91qts). Why don't you use that for storage?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowell Huff View Post
    2.75 liters is nearly 3 quarts (2.91qts). Why don't you use that for storage?
    I would if I could find one. Bottles (at least up here in the Great White North) can be found in one-, two and four-litre sizes.

The only bottles close to that size (three U.S. quarts) are ones which come with laundry detergent, or chlorine bleach in them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why not use PVC tubing with PVC Cap on one end, reducer fitting on the other with a screw in plug for a top. The right diameter and cut to length for the capacity you want?
    "Nobody is perfect! But even among those that are perfect, some are more perfect than others." Walt Sewell 1947

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

The other route - more developer

Using more developer than you need works ok - just don't pour all of it into the tank. When done, pour some off to the side, rest into main tank, replenish as neded, and off to side bit added intil the jug is full.

The other option is to gas the top of the partly full jug. Look at Private Preserve - not at LCBO, but boutique outfits. I saw the last one I laid eyes on at Magnotta.

If that is not an option, and you are not partial to proane or butane, then bite the bullet like I did and buy a nitrogen/oxygen pressure regulator and tank ( god bless the *bay back when it had geographic areas sort). I fill it at a depot about once a year, for $10, and use it to drive solutions in a wing lynch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin