Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,910   Posts: 1,556,192   Online: 1028

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Unless one is drunk, high, or in an extreme hurry to unload film from the reels, this should be a non-issue as long as the user exercises normal common-sense care and keeps the reel from dropping onto the floor during unloading.

Shooter
    35mm
    Nikor reel.

Quote Originally Posted by dynachrome View Post
    Nikor reel.
    Yeah, who besides the amateurs uses plastic anyway? Just like the guy in the TMY-2 thread that blames his inexperience in processing on blotchiness with the film, I used to blame plastic reels and tanks for streaks between the sprocket holes. It was the plastic I swear, my agitating the HELL out of the film didn't have anything to do with it!

That being said, in all seriousness, dust, scratches, kinks, and drying marks are an inavoidable part of silver halide photography. They can be minimized but can never be completely eliminated. It sucks. Now go out and deal with it!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I didn't know there was the 'take real apart' method! I use the bend and unroll bing very careful not to buckle the film...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    OMG! I guess it's true that "ignorance is bliss". I'd never even considered that this was a problem. But then, I'm one of the 3 people in the world (apparently) that doesn't think loading reels is hard, either.
    LOL! I'm with you. I'm good being bliss! Never had a problem.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm gonna worry tomorrow night now arent' i as I process film....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you worry that something will go wrong, then it probably will. If you don't, then it probably won't.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hmmmm, so true. I'll just put my music on and go. another plus to summer time....no one there to hear my awful singing

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I just recently started using the take apart method
    I haven't bothered with the stainless reels I've accumulated yet

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The single most important purchase I ever made were for high quality reels. The cheap stainless ones will send you to the loony bin, the plastic reels sent me there as well. Wet film is attracted to plastic, those electrons are having a party and your trying to break it up. Stainless has not this issue, but cheap reels are a nightmare. If you've used cheap stainless reels in the past (like me) then went to plastic (like me), try going back to high quality stainless reels, the difference is incredible and "reel rage" will disappear.

As for unrolling, I first clip the end of the film to whatever I happen to be hanging it from to dry that day, could be an old gym locker or a pipe along the ceiling, I cup the reel in both hands and let gravity do the work guiding the reel with my thumbs in the center. Go too fast then you drop the reel. I always have something soft underneath like a towel because my next step is squirting both sides of the hanging film with distilled water. If I do drop a reel most of the time is has a cushioned landing. I did find that kinking was a problem with plastic reels do to the above mentioned wet plastic attraction but is not with stainless. As far as 120 film is concerned kinking is expected to be worse for plastic reels, but, I found that whenever my 120 kinked it was due to my aggressive agitation during washing I may have to go back to the old gravity washer for 120.
    Chris Saganich
    http://www.imagebrooklyn.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin