Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,235   Online: 835

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I've become enamored w/ Pyrocat HD, and I'm kinda' starting from scratch on my selection of film. I'd like to find a 400 speed (or so) film that is (1) available in 8x10, (2) able to get sufficient contrast w/ Pyrocat HD for use with Azo & platinum (I'm trying for dual-use negs), and (3) inexpensive. I've read good things about TMY in Pyrocat (and TMY has the additional benefit of very favorable reciprocity characteristics), but it's about $3/sheet, and I'd like to find out whether one of the cheaper films will work for me.

So, what experiences do folks out there have w/ Pyrocat and some of the less-expensive 400 speed films?
    Chris Patti

No experience here with 400 speed film, but try this:

http://www.apug.org/site/main/viewto...636&highlight=
    Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    HP5+.

So, now I've said it... I think Ilford should be paying me a commission for this - or at least giving me free film
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Ole's full of crap
    Tri-x professional is the way to go, it's not wimpy like HP5+.

Seriously, i don't think Ole's answer or mine help very much. Both films are pretty expensive.

I've read that Arista 400 speed film is a clone of HP5 and is available for much less than the name brand products.

I meant to add that Arista is available from Freestyle photo sales in California.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I use Arista from Freestyle in LA quite a bit and it is HP5+ without a doubt. It is about 1/2 Ilfords price.

lee\c

Shooter
    Large Format
    We have a sponsor that sells 8X10 400 speed sheet film. Actually a couple of them as I look at it. The Classic 400 from JandC Photo is priced at $86.00 for fifty sheets. The price on Kodak TriX (B&H Photo) is $137.50. Maybe this fits into the catagory of the Samson and Goliath dialogue that has been addressed elsewhere on this site.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Well, it seems like Arista and JandC Classic 400 are inexpensive choices. Can anybody provide any experience with these films developed in Pyrocat HD for Azo and/or platinum printing?
    Chris Patti

Shooter
    Large Format
    Chris,
    Sandy King the developer of the Pyrocat HD formula posted some test results of the Classic 400 film. I believe that LF Guy directed your attention to that post. I don't know of anyone personally who has shared their experience when using this film on Pt-Pd. There may be some folks on the Azo forum that have some experience with the Classic 400 film. Azo and Pt-Pd seem to require similar negative contrast ranges.
    Another film that I have used for Azo is the PhotoWarehouse 125 ISO film. Most folks seem to think that this is HP4 in a plain wrapper. I do know that this film will build density sufficient to the task of Azo and Pt-Pd. Jorge also shoots this film on his 12X20 for Pt-Pd. The price of this film is certainly attractive. I believe that I bought 100 sheets (8X10) for $125.00.
    I have also used the Classic 200 (JandC Photo) it will build enough density for Azo and Pt-Pd. Good luck.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    My personal opinion is that TMAX 400 is the best film for palladium printing, with TRI-X a close second. These two films are very responsive to N+ development and will reach the high CI needed for palladium, especially when photographing in very flat lighting conditions. Ilford FP4+ is equally responsive but its relatively slow speed can be a problem in low lighting situations. Unfortunately TMAX 400 and TRI-X are not available in ULF formats except by special order, and they are very expensive when obtained this way.

BTW, AZO and palladium require negatives that are quite different in terms of density range. For AZO printing we need a negative with a DR of about 1.3 while palladium requires a density range of about 1.7-1.8. However, if we develop a negative in a staining developer for the ES of AZO it will have a greater effective density range to UV light, making it suitable for palladium. For persons interested in printing with both AZO and palladium this is one of the major advantages of staining developers. All staining developers have this characteristic but with Pyrocat-HD there is a much greater difference between the effective printing density to blue and UV light than is the case with the pyrogallol based developers such as ABC Pyro, Rollo Pyro and PMK.

Just for the record the DR needed for various processes is:

1) Silver gelatin - 0.8 to 1.05 with VC or graded papers.
    2) AZO- 1.2-1.3
    3) Platinum - 1.4
    4) Carbon - 0.8-2.5, with contrast control by strength of dichromate sensitizer
    5) Kallitype and Palladium, 1.7-1.8
    6) Vandyke, Salted Paper and Albumen, 2.2-2.5

Sandy King

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin