Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,752   Posts: 1,515,873   Online: 1007

Shooter
    Medium Format

smack smack smack

Old dogs, new tricks... Can you spell brain fart?

Ran down to the darkroom at noon to soup a roll of 120 Tri-X... Hurried to get it all done and in the film drier in a half hour... Just ran down to pull it off the reel and put the negs in the sleeves and (now the rest of the story)

Well, there is a perfectly developed neg 3/4 of the way across the film, and a distinctly under developed 1/4 width... <smacking sound of heel of hand meeting forehead>

Now look, I have only been doing this longer than some of you have been alive... There is no way that an old dog like me would mix up 3/4 tank full of Kodak's finest - right?

Ya know, SOMEDAY I'm going to learn how to do this...

<smack - smack - smack>

denny

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A classic. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, embarrasingly. (if it's any comfort).
    S°ren

"We are much more likely to act our way into a new way of thinking than think our way into a new way of acting." - R. Pascale

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Well, it still leaves you with 6x4.5's... (duck and run!!)

Vaughn

(assuming you started with 6x6)
    Last edited by Vaughn; 05-15-2008 at 03:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

worse brain farts screwing up film here

A first time run with a new to me wing lynch on Monday, to process e-6 slides.

Mixed the chems up late Saturday, and loaded them into the tanks to allow the machine to tune them to the right temperature. Step though the cycle for first dev , rev bath, colour dev and pre belach , since these are the e-6 chems suceptible to oxidization. Steped though program sequence quickly to flood the tops of these tanks with nitogen. Pumped maybe 50mL of these chems each into the trought in the process. Go to bed, pooped from a busy day.

Loaded the film onto rolls on late Sunday night, stuck the rolls in the tube, put the tube in the what appeared to me to be dry trough, and placed the light tight cover on. The room the Wing Lynch is in isn't dayligt light tight yet.

Monday after work, fill a tub with 102F water for required rmanual rinses to test drive without finalling all the incoming water lines and searching fleabay for a water panel.

Run the machine though its paces. The wash water from the pre-warm came out pink - I guess there was some CD left dried in the trough from Saturday that I never rinsed out. Then the tube jumps once or twice for some reason and the cover is slightly disloged.

l let the machine run the full cycle - but the cover comes off to yield faint images. In retrospect it makes sense - too much light (cover bump), and too much development prior to reversal due to the CD in the wrm up water prior to the first developer.

Oh well - better knowledge for the next run. I still have about 80 rolls for e-6 in the freezer, so there is time to perfect this. I am aiming to get it all working right before the summer vacation.

Summer vacation I like to shoot as transparencies - the magic of reminising in a darkend room with everyone chiming in, years after the vacation is in the past is most of what I love.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It happens. Just last week I went to soup a roll of Pan-F in d-76 1+3. Problem was I mixed 1+2 but devved to 1+3. Neg are printable, but JUST A BIT CONTRASTY!

Brain farts occur, so does gravity.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ya know, SOMEDAY I'm going to learn how to do this...

<smack - smack - smack>

Yit nevur hapen two me cause I allaz does everthing alles purfict!
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, I redeemed myself... Ran a roll of TXP through the M645 late yesterday, fairly low contrast scenes, metered at ASA320... 3 shots of each scene - @320 / -1 stop / +1 stop...
    Camera meter was compared to L-358... Within a half stop...
    Souped the negs this morning before business hours.. XTOL 1:1 for 11min 15sec at 68F...
    I am pleased to find that the normal negs look good at ASA320... the under is a bit thin (though easily printable at grade 3-3.5, or so) and the over is a bit dense (probably grade 1.5-2)... Life is good..
    Next will be a set of more contrasty stuff to see if the highlights are blowing out, or if I need to pull it a half stop...
    And yes, I managed to mix enough soup to cover the film this time - jeez Louise...
    denny

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The important part is do we learn from our mistakes? Hopefully we do!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin