Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,969   Posts: 1,558,551   Online: 1040

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Is spotting RC glossy paper ever successful?

I find I can spot fibre based glossy fine, but on RC it seems much harder as the dye doesnt sink in as easily. Any ideas?

Thanks

Ritchie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's difficult, and maddening. I've had best results spotting while the print is still wet. Squeegee off the excess water and have at it before it dries, and don't use a hardening fixer. The gelatin needs to be a bit soft.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is very doable, but removing your teeth with an ice pick is more fun. I just mix the closest grey I could and go at it. On the up side mistakes wipe away.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    small brush and watercolor paints
    it works like a charm.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by thomsonrc View Post
    I find I can spot fibre based glossy fine, but on RC it seems much harder as the dye doesnt sink in as easily. Any ideas?

Thanks

Ritchie
    I am a much better spotter on FB than RC.
    Michael

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Moisten the area where you're going to spot with a damp sponge. The emulsion shouldn't be wet, just swollen.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have used the spotpens with great success---in fact it is very easy---a little time consuming--spot let dry-check spot more if needed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used to be really good at it - before I discovered fiber paper. It just took practice. Lots of it. I would always start with a light grey and build it up. If it's too dark to start with, it's toast.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nice thing is that you can fix it if it's overdone. Soak the print in a tray of water for about 30 minutes and the dye diffuses out. I know what they say about elongated wet times with RC papers, but if it's either that or trash the print...
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use the Spotone range, which I have had since 1974, five bottles in all.

I use a five zero brush (00000) with which I can do virtually a pin prick size hole.

For larger areas I take my time and do a slightly greyer version first, let it dry, then attack it again, usually the third or fourth coat makes it virtually impossible to see.

I agree with David, a slight moistening does help, the operative word is, slight.

Take your time and don't spot after a session of printing, if you're like me you'll be a bit tired, it is never as well done as when you approach spotting completely fresh.

Mick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin