Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,708   Posts: 1,548,580   Online: 1159

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Developing TP With Old Technidol...???

An older client of us was so kind giving me a package of Technidol to develop my Technical Pan with. Only this package is like 20 yrs old, has been storaged cool but I'm not sure how long I should develop.
    Will it still be okay to use? Trying it out will most likely give the most accurate answer but still

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Contrastique View Post
    An older client of us was so kind giving me a package of Technidol to develop my Technical Pan with. Only this package is like 20 yrs old
    I am still using old Technidol and it works as well as ever. I am not sure of the age - it is a liquid packaged in little foil pouches that have the shape of a bottle printed on them.

All the liquid Technidol that I had that was in little round plastic vials went bad quite a while ago.

Previous to all that, Technidol was supplied as a powder. I don't have any, but I don't remember having any that went bad.

The developing agent in Technidol is phenidone and phenidone turns brown when it expires. If the Technidol is clear/uncolored then it is probably good. Before doing the whole roll you may want to snip a bit of the film leader and put it in the developer in the light and see that it turns black(ish) in about 1/2 the recommended developing time.

If you have some phenidone and sulfite then you can make POTA which works acceptably with TechPan. Don't bother with HC110 or Rodinal - there are people who claim this works but there are also people who like rap music and eating at McDonalds. TechPan is the Beethoven 5th piano concerto of film, the prime rib of imaging, don't spoil it.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanx. I have the powder so it should be alright then.
    What does POTA mean?
    Oh, I've used HC110 before and I love it as it gives me what I'm after and trust me, I don't like rap and I hate McDonalds . I'm just curious what would happen when I use the developer that was developed especially for this film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

POTA = Photo-Optics Technical Area (Fort Monmouth)

Quote Originally Posted by Contrastique View Post
    Thanx. I have the powder so it should be alright then.
    What does POTA mean?
    Oh, I've used HC110 before and I love it as it gives me what I'm after and trust me, I don't like rap and I hate McDonalds . I'm just curious what would happen when I use the developer that was developed especially for this film.
    POTA = Photo-Optics Technical Area (Fort Monmouth, N.J. USA)

The Photo-Optics Technical Area is where Dr. Marilyn Levy was working when she created the POTA developer. Levy used POTA to develop large aerial photographic films.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tom,

Thanks for the idea. I will try POTA with very high resolution Kodak Aerial film.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by richard ide View Post
    Tom,

Thanks for the idea. I will try POTA with very high resolution Kodak Aerial film.
    Richard: I suggest trying to find
    (and buy) a copy of the 1998 edition of THE FILM DEVELOPING COOKBOOK BY ANCHELL and TROOP. See chapter 11 (pages 95-97). This chapter contains very useful information about POTA modifications for reducing fog and image streaking.

For example, Levy used brush development to control streaking.

Levy also proposed modifying POTA by adding small amounts (like 0.25 gram) of either hydroquinone or pyrogallol to the POTA solution as a solution preservative. Reducing the amount of sulfite is another "tweak" that can be made to improve image quality with POTA.

os
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    TechPan is the Beethoven 5th piano concerto of film, the prime rib of imaging, don't spoil it.
    Nicky,
    So it's overdone and fatty around the edges? I think not. It's more like 12-year old single malt scotch, not for the faint of heart, an acquired, exclusive taste if you can afford it. But you are correct TP is an increasingly rare commodity and mated with Technidol makes the result even more precious.

Contrastique,
    Have a blast while I eat my heart out.
    For TechPan in Technidol the Massive Dev Chart
    gives developer times between 5 to 18 minutes depending on your ASA.

The unblinkingeye has it at 10-minutes

Terry

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwagoshi View Post
    Contrastique,
    Have a blast while I eat my heart out.
    For TechPan in Technidol the Massive Dev Chart
    gives developer times between 5 to 18 minutes depending on your ASA.

The unblinkingeye has it at 10-minutes
    Terry
    Thanx! I'll have a blast for sure
    I'll keep it at 10 minutes first and see what I'll get.
    On the last link they said 6 minutes with the HC-110 but I think that's too long. I'm keeping it at 5 now.
    Anyways, thanx for your info! Cya around somewhere

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin