Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,972   Posts: 1,558,675   Online: 987

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

super syrup kodak d-52

i want to mix a syrup version of d-52 ( kodak warm tone developer ) in the order of 10x - instead of the original recipe to be used at 1:1, i want to mix it for 1:9 usage ( thereabouts ).

- does anyone foresee any problems? saturation? longetivity issues? etc

thanks...

Images
    I doubt you could do it. First try dissolving 10X as much sulfite.
    Gadget Gainer

Why would you even consider over concentrating such a high-contrast, fast-acting developer in the first place? I doubt you can get much more activity out of it anyway.

Do you want a syrup, as in something you can actually use to develop, or a concentrate?

Unless you have a chem lab and specialized equipment, you'll have to buy such things from photography companies. If you don't like dealing with powders, doesn't Ilford make a concentrate for paper development?

Kodak makes HC-110 and XTOL in liquid concentrates, but I don't think they make any paper developers as concentrates.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You could certainly make up a solution to dilute 1+9 because it's not a 10x strength concentrate that's require.

I have a spreadsheet to do the calculations. I'll post the requirements in a few minutes. I make up a concentrate of ID-78 which is an Ilford Warm-tone PQ equivalent and that dissolves easily, almost the same amount of Sulphite but a bit less carbonate.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 05-17-2008 at 11:26 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's so easy it doesn't need a spread sheet. Formulae is for 1+1 therefore the working solution contains half the amounts per litre. So Just x5 gives you the concentrate for 1+9 dilution

So concentrate:

Metol 7.5g
    SodiumSulphite (anhyd) 112.5g
    Hydroquinone 31.5g
    Sodium Carbonate (anhyd) 75g
    Potassium Bromide 7.5g
    Water to 1 litre

It will easily dissolve, a PQ version has slightly better keeping properties. Which was why the Agfa Neutol powder was an MQ dev and the Liquid PQ.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    X-tol is made in liquid form?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jim I think the poster hadn't grasped what El Wacho was after. Why was he going on about film developers when the post was about Warm Tone Print developer/

Ilfords DDX equivalent of Xtol is in liquid form.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 05-17-2008 at 11:52 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If I follow the inquiry I think he wants to make a syrup form of a paper developer that would keep in concentrated form like HC110 Then it could be used as needed by diluting it. which would be nice if he only uses a warm tone developer occassionally.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's it in one, and it's relatively easy to do with many formulae. The reason most MQ devs are sold as powders is they have a relatively short shelf life as liquids even un-opened. The PQ equivalents have a very significantly longer shelf life as liquids unopened, and slightly better once opened.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 05-17-2008 at 01:23 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: missed the er off longer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    hello all,

thanks to all.

Ian is spot on. i am currently using the PQ version and was just curious whether the MQ equivalent would produce a warmer tone, having noticed that metol produced warmer tones in some negs ( perceptol in particular, combined with the lack of sod.carbonate) than PQ film developers. the convenience of mixing a higher concentrate ( maybe the term "super syrup" was too dramatic?! ) was what prompted the question.

am i thinking the right way about it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin