Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,048   Posts: 1,610,903   Online: 1204

Shooter
    8x10 Format

J&C Classic 400 development

I recently found two 25 sheet boxes of J&C Classic 400 8x10 film in my freezer (out of date by two years but unopened and bought fresh from J&C). Can anyone suggest a starting film speed and development time for this film. I haven't done any developing in the last 2 years (college) and I don't want to use up any more of it in testing than I have to since it is not available anymore. I used to develop it in Pyrocat-HD but have lost all my development time records. I also have HC-110 and D76 available.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Look for Forte Pan 400, that was sold as Classic pan by Fotoimpex who supplied some of J&C's film & paper.

I use the same dev time for Forte 400 and Tmax 100, 15 mins in Pyrocat HD 1+1+100 at 20C.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You can use the times for Tri-X as a starting point. I found with most developers that I usually use, about 10-15% longer than the Tri-X time worked pretty well for Fortepan 400.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    About 12 minutes for Pyrcocat HD, 2:2:100.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Look for Forte Pan 400, that was sold as Classic pan by Fotoimpex who supplied some of J&C's film & paper.

I use the same dev time for Forte 400 and Tmax 100, 15 mins in Pyrocat HD 1+1+100 at 20C.

Ian
    Ian, For Fortepan 400 I also use 15 mins in Pyrocat HD 1+1+100 at 20C. (with minimal agitation).
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I used to buy chemicals and paper at a WolfCamera store since it was the only camera store within 30 miles. I just stopped by there yesterday and they do not sell chemicals or paper anymore. Since I'm going to have to order chemicals, I guess I'll stick with Pyrocat-HD. Since I normally use Pyrocat-HD with minimal agitation, the 15 minuate 1:1:100 suggestion , rating film at 400 sounds like a good starting point. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I also use Pyrocat HD at 2+2+100m for dish processing and this reduces the time to 9 minutes, for my requirements.

Ian

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin