Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,975   Posts: 1,523,634   Online: 1098

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

First Roll of Tri-X

I just picked up my first roll of Tri-X (400). I have only shot TMax and just curious what I should expect. I know Tri-X is a traditional emultion vs. TMax's tabular grain, but that is really about it.

Any of you experianced ones out there have any hints, words of wisdom, etc?

Jason

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Although both films are the same speed according to the ISO standard, the two differ in some very noticeable ways. First thing you'll notice is a difference in grain structure. TMY (TMax 400) has a very regular grain pattern, while the grain pattern of Tri-X tends to be more random. You will notice this most if you examine the image projected onto the baseboard of your enlarger under a grain focusing microscope. Only when you reach enlargements of 10x or so, and when you compare prints side by side, does it become obvious in the print. The second thing you'll notice is that TMY has more red sensitivity. Contrast between sky and clouds is more pronounced as rendered by TMY. Using yellow, orange, or red contrast filters heightens the effect more. Finally, TMY tends to separate the very low shadow densities out more clearly than Tri-X. Tri-X, on the other hand, renders the mid-tone values with better separation. Of course, none of this matters if you don't wet print the negatives. Scanning either film will probably not show the grain, but rather artifacts of grain aliasing. Contrast curves can be manipulated to whatever you prefer with the editing software of your choice.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pretty picture, of course.

Although 400TX is not a T-grain film, the grain is very fine, and it should not be a problem. Tri-X is widely noted for its fine rendition of the tones in a scene. You will probably enjoy this film, especially if you print it yourself or use custom printing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by schwefel View Post
    I just picked up my first roll of Tri-X (400). I have only shot TMax and just curious what I should expect. I know Tri-X is a traditional emultion vs. TMax's tabular grain, but that is really about it.
    I have had just the opposite experience - I have shot lots of Tri-X (both in 35mm and 120) but no TMax. This morning I shot a test 35mm roll of TMY2 (developed in DD-X for 7.25 min. at 20C) and my first reaction was "Wow, where did the grain go?" Aside from finer grain, it seems to resolve finer detail and has a distinctly different tonality than Tri-X. If you don't mind coarser (but lovely) grain, I think you will really like the tonality of Tri-X. Depending on the developer, it can range from warm to gritty, while TMY2, to me, seems almost too perfect, clinical. However, it's just all words - you will have to decide for yourself, I am afraid .
    I hope you enjoy your new film.
    aparat

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well, I shall see. If I like it, I will get a 100' roll.

I will be setting up a wet darkroom. I work with computers/tech all day. I want to do something that stays away from the digital world. (The wife can keep the digi cam.) As soon as I sell my house and buy a new one, I will be building, what i hope to be a VERY nice, darkroom.

I am looking forward to shooting and developing it.

mcd

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Don't look back...

Classic look with forgiving development and great contrast control. You'll never go back to that soulless t-max...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, I used Tri-X for everything...the one photo prof scoffed at it when he asked what I used and I told him. He clearly did not approve.

Oh well.....my art, not his Although I'm using Ilford HP5 in my Rollei.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am nearing the end of my first 100' roll of Tri-x and it has become my go to film for most situtaions. I process it in D76/ID-11 and Rodinal depending on the situation and the look I am out to acheive. I plan to try out Xtol at some point and see what I get. The other trad. 400 ISO black and white film is Ilford HP5, I love them both.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well, I shot the roll. Used it on the kids in the back yard. Also took a few with the 6:30 sun, maybe get some solarizing. Cannot hurt to see, only costs me a few frames.

Will develop it tonight. I'll post my thoughts of it when done. (I need to really get a changing bag to use until I get my darkroom built.)

Jason

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well, I souped it and I think it looks great. Without getting under a loupe or an enlarger, I will reserve final judgement. But, I do think I will be getting a 100' roll in the near future. (And another bulk loader too.)

I got a GREAT one of the dog. She actually sat still for a bit. Very pleased.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin