Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,545,000   Online: 709

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How many photographers have access to reasonably clean sea water? Would any of the many pollutants found near shore these days have a deleterious affect on the process?
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A variation on this myth is that sea-water can actually act as a fixer -- that it will dissolve silver halide from film or paper. (I've read this on a few forums.) When challenged, those perpetuating this story claim that they've read about it from reputable sources. One poster on a Flickr forum finally tried it, and found that sea-water did indeed fix film, but the fixing time was over 24 hours (or something like that). I suspect it's simply silver halide complexation by high concentrations of chloride that works in this case.

Sulfite wouldn't be stable in seawater, which is continually oxygenated. They would react with each other until one or the other is exhausted.

Shooter
    35mm

We did this topic about two months ago...

It started with a posting of mine. I found over 400 4x5 prints that my father, a Photographers Mate in the Coast Guard 1943-1946, had taken. They were all in perfect condition, despite living in a Florida closet for the last 48 years. In fact, they were in better condition than many of his studio prints from the decade prior.

I posed the question then, is it possible that this excellent condition could be due to the salt water primary rinse? To some degree, I was jumped on for bringing up an old topic already examined. But the difference is I have proof in my hand, not chemistry research and published papers.

I"m going to start throwing my fixed prints into the bayou in my back yard.......

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting, I hadn't heard this before. What about with alkaline fixers?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    How many photographers have access to reasonably clean sea water? Would any of the many pollutants found near shore these days have a deleterious affect on the process?
    In the 80's I was worked in Southern Italy, l lived on the cost, less than a block from the ocean. I just put my prints mesh bag and tossed the bag in a small cove for a couple of hours followed by a 5 mint wash in well water. The Adriatic was well know for all kinds of pollution, but 20 years latter all of the prints are holding up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Howell View Post
    In the 80's I was worked in Southern Italy, l lived on the cost, less than a block from the ocean. I just put my prints mesh bag and tossed the bag in a small cove for a couple of hours followed by a 5 mint wash in well water. The Adriatic was well know for all kinds of pollution, but 20 years latter all of the prints are holding up.

Interesting, thanks.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by George Collier View Post
    What about with alkaline fixers?
    George - thiosulfate is thiosulfate. It doesn't matter if it is from an alkaline fixer or not. The alkaline fixer will wash faster than non-alkaline.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin