Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,581,991   Online: 823

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Availability of 8x10 fiber paper in Europe

Hi All
    I was just wondering how easy it is to get 8x10 paper in europe. The only one I've come across is adox fine print polywarmtone, sold from photoimpex, and they've stopped making that paper! All else I've seen is 18x24 cm. Now, the reason I'm asking is that I have some 8x10 negs I want to print, but my darkroom doesn't have room for lager sized papers than 8x10. If I used 18x24 cm the image would be cropped, and I don't want that.
    So where do I get 8x10 baryt paper in europe?

Best Regards
    Mads

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Silverprint, London, look under the list of Sponsors

But isn't 20.3 x 25.4 actually 10x8

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 05-18-2008 at 08:43 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    The UK may be your best bet - 8x10 is the most common size, 18x24 is not usually available. Or an Ilford dealer should be able to order some. Most places should ship to Denmark (I am sure Silverprint do).

edz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by loman View Post
    Hi All
    I was just wondering how easy it is to get 8x10 paper in europe.
    In Europe you can't get 8x10" paper since the laws demand that paper be sold using nominal cm measures (we're on the metric system after all). Ask for 20x25cm paper (and you'll get want you want) :-)

Example: ILFORD Multigrade FB 20x25

http://www.nordfoto.de/cgi-bin/nfvsh...36298808455533
    Edward C. Zimmermann
    BSn R&D // http://www.nonmonotonic.net

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Great, Thanks!
    I don't have the money for their minimum order (100 pounds)
    I looked at retrophotographic too, but their shipping charges to Denmark are quite high (25 pounds)
    Do foma papers exist as 8x10?
    Best Regards
    Mads
    Last edited by loman; 05-18-2008 at 09:12 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe someone in the UK could make the purchase for you, and post it on. I'm not back in the UK until early June, and I will be placing a Silverprint order. PM me if you can wait.

I was approached by an APUG member in the US about 18 months ago who wanted something small and was hit by the minimum overeas order requirements of another supplier, I think in his cases the postage was about $2.50/£1.25, when I sent it, the suppliers minimum to the US was $32/£16.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Loman, I think you did not understand Ian's and Edward's posts. 8x10 paper IS in fact 20x25cm paper. So, in USA you buy 8x10 paper, in Europe you buy 20x25cm paper, and in both cases you will buy THE SAME paper.

So, if you buy in Europe (and I can see you are in Denmark, so... ), buy 20x25cm paper, and you will have no problems, that is when you buying make your order in metric system, not in imperial system. Atleast I don't have any problems, I recently bought Ilford FB papers, both neutral and warmtone, in 20x25cm size, and that size is easily available in Europe as far as I know.

By the way, paper we call "20x25cm" has actuall (real) size 20.3x25.4 cm (if you take maesuring tool and measure paper size you will see that), and that IS 8x10 inch size (1 inch = 2.54cm), so in reality 8x10 inch is 20.32x25.40 cm

I am buying Ilford stuff for years from Fomei, Czech Republic, and have no problems.
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Mads......
    Try to take a look at http://www.banse-grohmann.de/down/wephota/wepr.pdf

They have what you want......
    And just ask your old father an other time.....

Hyg dig Mads.....
    erik hartmann
    my very humble AP-Gallery:
    http://nehartmann.dk/eh-analog/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

It's a European thing...

Mads,

I have the same problem as you here in France. Although 8x10 is 20x25cm, most photography stores do not carry that size (only 18x24), although they have 5x7, 9x12, 11x14 -- all the other sizes, just not 8x10. I've had to buy all my paper from the UK (thank you Silverprint!!) in order to get that size (Germany is another option). I'm not doing 8x10 contact prints, but I find the 18x24 a little too small for my tastes, and definitely too small for my contact sheets. Everyone in my photography class has remarked on the size of my paper, since they've never seen it in those dimensions before. My teacher thinks it's an 'English' thing and blames them (this means English-speaking people) for all the weird sizes we have to deal with in papers.

rachelle

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Other option is to buy 18x24cm film holders for 8x10 camera and in future to use 18x24cm film and same sized paper if 8x10 paper is so hard to get...
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin