Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,478   Posts: 1,571,004   Online: 874

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

coffee and soda crystals

Has anyone tried to develop a film using coffee granules and soda crystals. I read about it and I would like to try it.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think it works better as a paper developer, but you can use it to develop film. Was there something in particular you want to know?

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Google Caffenol, Caffenol+C and Caffenol LC+C
    Original, faster with less staining and Low Contrast faster & less staining for document (microfilm) versions.

Donald Qualls' recipes may be posted here in the recipe area. Digital Truth may have them also.

There is also a guy in Costa Rica, Saul (costaricacoffeeart.com?) who has a different formulation and a coffee photo emulsion recipe. (You'll have to Google that).

Most people say it only works with instant, but I think brewed may have some purpose in a not-yet-optimized recipe.

Murray
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray@uptowngallery View Post
    Most people say it only works with instant, but I think brewed may have some purpose in a not-yet-optimized recipe.
    I've heard it suggested that the issue may be that instant coffees tend to be made of the cheaper "robusta" beans, which certainly have a higher caffeine content than the higher-quality "arabica" beans and might also have a higher caffeic acid content (which I believe is thought to be the main actual developing agent in coffee).

I have a bag of green robusta beans in the cabinet with my Caffenol stuff, as it happens; they make staggeringly horrible coffee for drinking purposes, but one of these days I mean to roast some and brew a test batch for developing. They were practically free, I think US$1 for half a pound of green beans---my bean supplier has a monthly special where they sell sample quantities of "bad example" coffees.

I'll post if I ever manage to do anything, but I've got a 1-month-old baby, so free time is in short supply lately.

-NT

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pentax_Junkie View Post
    I think it works better as a paper developer
    Do you use the same proportions as for film? I've never tried it with paper, but I'm curious.

Thanks.

-NT

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes I've tried it it works very well for me, he is my modus.
    Developing in Coffee
    Mark

Images
    It might br worthwhile to extract from ground coffee beans without heating. It runs in my mind that some manufacturers of instant coffee advertise that they do it that way. It's likely that the heat of brewing changes certain of the constituents.
    I have heard that Folgers Instant works best. I bought some once with intent of trying film developing with it but wound up drinking it. I could tolerate it as "Hot Breakfast Drink" but not coffee as I know it.
    OTH, it might be best to drink the coffe first and let your kidneys produce the p-aminophenol or whatever.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The coffee method works for some, but not others. I would recommend a test roll before you try a serious one!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer View Post
    It might br worthwhile to extract from ground coffee beans without heating.
    Interesting thought. I've just googled a little bit, and it seems that the cold-brewed coffee is less acidic than the "regular" stuff (someone actually did a test and found a pH of 6.something, vs. about 5.5 for Starbucks brewed in-store), which makes me worry that it might have less of the caffeic acid specifically.

If caffeic acid even *is* the developing agent here. Do you have an opinion on that?

I have heard that Folgers Instant works best. I bought some once with intent of trying film developing with it but wound up drinking it.
    I'm so sorry to hear this. Have you recovered from the trauma?

-NT

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Some say there are catechins and phenols in coffee that can work too. It also acts as a staining developer.
    Some say it is even slower with paper than film.
    Murray

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin