Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,764   Posts: 1,516,315   Online: 1026

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good job

1. Don't need to pre-soak in Rodinal.

2. I was away from my storage drive earlier: For me, for a diffusion enlarger,
    TX in Rodinal is 30 to 35 minutes (with minimal agitation, 5 seconds per 5 minutes)

3. An hour might be good for 1+200

Rodinal is slow, but it is very powerful.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I do 1:100 rodinal presoaked, agitated for first minute, and left for 60-80min.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Markos

Once again, anything works in photography, find your own way !

Same style, same values, same everything, yet times can be different a couple blocks away.

EVERY time, regardless of the source, has to be a place to begin.
    Last edited by df cardwell; 05-19-2008 at 07:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Judging from the widely differing responses it seems that voodoo and pagan chicken recipes are essential elements of this technique.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Silber View Post
    Judging from the widely differing responses it seems that voodoo and pagan chicken recipes are essential elements of this technique.
    Just like the Zone System. Except for the chickens.

We know the variables in conventional processing; time, temperature, and dilution.

Most of us forget that agitation is a variable as well.

And every variable is a control. A way to get JUSt what you want. OR screw up.

Add the effects of a pre soak, and whatever variations there are in agitation (and possible temperature flucuations during the processing),
    minimal agitation is just a plain old technique like anything else.

Consistency and control are all you need.

That, and the funny, smelly, herbs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell View Post
    Just like the Zone System. Except for the chickens.

We know the variables in conventional processing; time, temperature, and dilution.

Most of us forget that agitation is a variable as well.

And every variable is a control. A way to get JUSt what you want. OR screw up.

Add the effects of a pre soak, and whatever variations there are in agitation (and possible temperature flucuations during the processing),
    minimal agitation is just a plain old technique like anything else.

Consistency and control are all you need.

That, and the funny, smelly, herbs.
    DON'T INHALE!

I've had no luck finding pagan chickens in Thousand Oaks, so I've been using Rhode Island Reds instead.

The film comes out looking good anyway!
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Images
    I agree with everything but gentle agitation. It seems to me that gentle agitation is a good way to get uneven flow patterns. You want to be sure of randomness of movement of the liquid while its moving. My opinion, of course.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I recently developed some APX 100 in Rodinal 1:200 for 60 mins and the negs look lovely, at lower dilutions like 1:100 I think an hour sounds a little too much.
    My agitation was slow for first min, and one slow rolling agitation after 30min.

I guess try out a few different times, see what works best for you.
    Mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gadget: "Gentle agitation... " Yes, but the reel clunking around in a tanks seems to manage the job pretty well. It doesn't seem to matter for me, invert & twist or rolling back and forth.

AS for my catalog of variables, I forgot the primary one: the photographer.

With minimal agitation, Rodinal's tendency is to build opacity at a fairly uniform rate, but not increase contrast. (this statement effectively describes the process, without wading into my lab books filled with hundred of curves and pictures of step wedges !). I think the reason for this is Rodinal's sensivity to bromide: less a restrainer, more an emergency brake.

So, the difference between one hour and 30 minutes ? Light meter, metering technique, enlarger, paper, film developer, and, most wonderfully, taste.

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have posted 2 prints from yesterday's parade muster in the gallery. I don't see surge marks. I did notice that density is increased all along one edge of the negatives. This is the side that was at the top of the tank during development. Would that be a function of time? agitation? dilution of the developer? It is just at the very edge of the negative and easily cropped.
    I will continue to experiment with this. I thought it was terrific that I could develop film AND do a load of laundry and make a batch of muffins.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin