Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,814   Posts: 1,581,607   Online: 805

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    couldn't we just use the miniminal possible amount of rodinal and rely on exhaustion?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    ...I could develop film AND do a load of laundry...
    Uh-oh.... was the tank really, reallly still? Or was if being vibrated by the dryer?

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke View Post
    Uh-oh.... was the tank really, reallly still? Or was if being vibrated by the dryer?

Nah, it was no where near the dryer.... it was in the kitchen watching me measure baking powder for the muffins.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cotdt View Post
    couldn't we just use the miniminal possible amount of rodinal and rely on exhaustion?
    We could, but development would be uneven, a graduation from top to bottom.

There are two things we might accomplish with minimal agitation, one is to induce actuance effects.

The other is to raise the shadows relative to the highlights, the curve pivoting at the midtone, as it were, on a fulcrum.

Essentially we 'push' the shadows while 'pulling the highlights'; the shadows continue to develop while the highlights develop until they stop.

Depending on the film, you would end up with flat highlights, too flat. So, you balance the agitation (highlight control) with the time (shadow control) and place the midtone by exposure. Well, that's how I use it !
    Last edited by df cardwell; 05-20-2008 at 11:21 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    does accutance effect scale with format?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell View Post
    The other is to raise the shadows relative to the highlights, the curve pivoting at the midtone, as it were, on a fulcrum.

Essentially we 'push' the shadows while 'pulling the highlights'; he shadows continue to develop while the highlights develop until they stop.
    Finally, someone realizes the possibilities beyond making sharper appearing prints.

There's still hope!
    Real Photographs are Born Wet !
    http://www.steve-sherman.com

Shooter
    35mm

The vibrations! Oh, the vibrations!

Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    Nah, it was no where near the dryer.... it was in the kitchen watching me measure baking powder for the muffins.
    Apparently you've not heard of Meese and James' work of developer actions in the vicinity of muffin mixing.......

Shooter
    35mm

Try sideways

In some work I was doing on sorta-semi-quasi-stand developing I got erratic results on bromide drag. Sometimes none, sometimes some, I think varied with the film, even. Pretty much the observations here.

There is no law that a developing tank must be kept upright if it is liquid tight. I found that by laying it sideways and then giving it a partial roll at intervals gave drag free negs.

The tank should be full, although I can't image film in any air bubble drying out while up.......

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell View Post
    Depending on the film, you would end up with flat highlights, too flat. So, you balance the agitation (highlight control) with the time (shadow control) and place the midtone by exposure. Well, that's how I use it !
    Works for me too... (Thanks to Don), I am using minimal agitation with Neopan 400, a film with an ill deserved reputation for being overly contrasty and loving the results with Rodinal. Sharp, even and lovely microcontrast.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...hp?photo=82372
    Last edited by John Bragg; 05-21-2008 at 01:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    An example of the above combination Neopan 400 in Rodinal 1:50 Minimal Agitation.

Last edited by John Bragg; 05-23-2008 at 05:06 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin