Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,215   Posts: 1,532,123   Online: 1051

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

how-to semi-stand (and not fall over)

I've been reading some of the threads on semi-stand developing. There are alot of them, so I might have missed the most pertinent.
    I shot triX 120 yesterday at the muster for a parade. Sunny with a light haze, mid-day.
    I want to try semi-stand development, and just want to check I've got the right idea.

My plan:
    Rodinal 1:100
    agitate for the first minute
    invert gently every 3-5 minutes
    fix after 30 minutes

The thing I am most perplexed about is how long to develop. Would 60 minutes be better? Or does it not matter, as the developer will be exhausted anyway by 30?

thanks in advance for any help

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, possibly even a bit longer in between agitations. Say 8 minutes and then you give it a good (i.e. not so gentle) agitation. The time is not that crucial as you seem to have noticed, but an hour is to strech it.
    But there are many threads and opinions about this subject. Unless other chimes in, do a quick search in this forum and do also check the info at http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Pyrocat/pyrocat.html where there's quite a bit written about semi-stand and Pyrocat developers. (Same principle, just another developer...)

//Björn
    Last edited by edtbjon; 05-19-2008 at 10:44 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: corrected the link...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    I've been reading some of the threads on semi-stand developing. There are alot of them, so I might have missed the most pertinent.
    I shot triX 120 yesterday at the muster for a parade. Sunny with a light haze, mid-day.
    I want to try semi-stand development, and just want to check I've got the right idea.

My plan:
    Rodinal 1:100
    agitate for the first minute
    invert gently every 3-5 minutes
    fix after 30 minutes

The thing I am most perplexed about is how long to develop. Would 60 minutes be better? Or does it not matter, as the developer will be exhausted anyway by 30?

thanks in advance for any help
    I personally call this type of agitation "minimal" rather than semi-stand.

If you already know how long to develop with the 1:100 dilution and normal agitation, just increase development time by about 35% with minimal agitation.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Scott Killian does full stand development of 120 film in Rodinal and gets fabulous results. He lets them sit for an hour. I don't know what dilution he uses, however. You might want to try contacting him at scott@scottkillian.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You don't mention the type of tank you are using. I have tried Tri-x 120 with Rodinal in many degrees of partial stand to no agitation after the first minute or two and have never had a roll without some kind of surge effects (some areas near the outside, top of the reel) that develop more than the internal areas. It's never consistent, and some frames are ok. I got similar results with Pyrocat HD and MC. I finally abandoned this and went back to HC-110, normal agitation. 4x5 and 35mm are fine, just 120.

I use stainless steel reels, one an old Nikkor and one a newer British brand, I forget the name.
    I would be most interested in your results. I wish I could make this combination work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Agitation at 5 minute intervals will make your density on a 120 film even.
    10 minute intervals, most of the time you'll get uneven density.

I concur with Sandy, 5 minutes is safe, and gives you all the practical advantage of an hour's stand,
    with none of the risk.

Rodinal - just sitting there for 100 years !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I did a number of rolls of Agfa B&W films a couple of years ago in 120 and 35mm with 1+100 Rodinal and stand development. Full stand sometimes got some streaking or uneven development, but not every time. I was able to get even development with agitation at least once every 10 minutes. There seems to be a lot of individual variation with different agitation routines, films, developers, dilution rates, probably with the water used, etc. The best thing to do is test for your personal conditions and procedures.

Lee

You also won't go at all wrong listening to don (df cardwell) and Sandy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I developed a roll of Delta 100 (120) yesterday - 1:100 gentle agitation for 10s every minute for 3 minutes, 1 gentle agitation at 30 min, total time 1 hour. Negs appear even and very printable, will know more when actually have time to print!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've not seen huge differences after 45 minutes or so. You're COUNTING on exhaustion at the film surface

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I developed the film. Taking into consideration the advice written here I:
    presoaked a couple of minutes
    Rodinal 1:100 - full (Nikkor) tank
    agitated for the first minute
    gentle inversion or 2 every 10 minutes
    60 minutes in the developer
    fixed, etc as usual
    the negatives look OK, no apparent surge marks. They are contrasty (high noon on a sunny day after all), but have detail in the shadows and the highlights and will be printable I think.
    Negatives currently drying, so I'll make some prints as soon as I can.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin